380 opinions please

6onthehip

i am looking for a new .380 - considering:

bersa thunder
browning pro
berreta cheetah
cz-83

a little skeptical about the jamming issues of nearly all the .380's although i used to own a walther and never had an issue with feed failures but now i read that one is not so great

need some input from the shooters here on these models or any other suggestions - thanks in advance for your expertise:D

Kaiser T

6onthehip: My opinion on .380s is that these are best for concealed carry, particularly if recoil is an issue that keeps you away from 9mm Para. I own a Beretta 85F which is an excellent piece, very solidly-built and accurate as can be.......BUT rather over-sized for concealed carry.

I feel that the 'mouse' category (Kel-Tec P3-AT, Taurus 738 & Ruger LCP) is just too light and small for a positive grip/control. SIG-232, SIG-238 and Bersa Thunder CC seem to hit the sweet spot. Of these, SIG-232 is very sexy (as in: shapely, smooth) but a tad pricey. SIG-238 is a nice 'retro' offering (especially with wood grips) but costly and, is Single Action which is a no-no for those who don't do 'cocked and locked'. Bersa Thunder CC is the best value for money.

If you insist on a .380 gun for home defense and, if size is not an issue, go for the Beretta 85F Cheetah. It is DA-SA with a manual safety. A true classic from a near-500 year old firearms house. Wood grips and a nickel finish would neatly square off the package.

PS: CZ-83 is too heavy; in fact one of the heaviest (29 ozs empty) of the .380s pack!

Last edited:

AK103K

I have a couple of the SIG P230's, which are the P232's predecessor. Basically the same gun, but they can usually be had at reasonable prices. I paid $250 and $300 for mine, both used, but LNIB.

They are accurate, reliable, and easy to shoot well with. Their DA trigger is something to marvel at. They have a grip that is very comfortable that aides in control, and takes the bite of of recoil. They also dont have the slide bite problem the Walthers have.

ferrarif1fan

A few things to think about...

First, I have had a Bersa 7-shot .380 for 4-5 years and it is a wonderful weapon for the money. I believe I did polish the feedramp on mine with some 600 grit sandpaper when I got it, but other than that, it has always fed and ejected everything I've shot in it. In addition, it's well built and has a lever that both decocks and acts as a safety. Plus, it is pretty thin and lightweight. In fact, fully loaded, with an extra mag and seated in my nylon IWB holster, it is still lighter than it's big brother, the Bersa 9 Ultra Compact. That gun is another excellent Bersa piece. If you're interested at all in a small 9mm, you should check one of those out. However, they are quite a bit heavier and thicker...not as friendly for concealed carry although it is my carry gun.

My brother has one of the older Sig P230. A very nice gun along the lines of the Bersa or Walther PPK. However, it only has a decocking lever. If you get the blued version, it is lighter than the stainless version. The light weight does make it a bit snappier though. My brother's gun has been good and to memory has not failed to feed or eject either.

I'm going to agree with one of the other members in saying that the Bersa .380 Thunders are excellent guns for the money. Be aware that they also make a Thunder Plus model that holds 15 rounds of .380 in the mag.

Robert

Pilot

I have owned a carried a Beretta M85FS "Cheetah" for several years now. It has been 100% reliable, easily concealed and very accurate for its size. Its the single stack version the M84 is double stack. I like the single stack because it is slightly slimmer and I feel fine with 9 rounds of .380.

The only downside to the Beretta is cost. They have become expensive over the years, and I'm seeing prices exceed $700 now, but you may be able to find a nice used one at a decent price.

41mag10mm

The only .380 I've owned, and for that matter shot is the Bersa Thunder. I picked one up new several years ago and have yet to experience a malfunction of any type. I've feed it 4 different brands of 95gr ammo including some +P without issue. I took my wife to the range yesterday since she hasn't shot either the Thunder or my Taurus 85, both of which I leave with her when I'm away. She doesn't shoot alot but was able to keep all rounds in the torsoe at 15 yards, and she loved shooting it. She was so tickled with how she did that I'm probably going to have company at the range a lot more often. Loaded with some modern SD ammo I have no issues carrying it for CC duty.

OldShooter

I've owned a few pistols in .380 and liked them all.

Browning BDA, Bersa Thunder and CZ83 (and some antiques).

The BDA and CZ83 have double stack magazines, so big grip and heavy when loaded. The CZ has a steel frame, so heavier still.

The Bersa is single stack with 7 rounds, alloy frame, light, slim and easy to conceal.

They are simple, accurate and reliable. The Bersa is the least expensive and probably the best deal of the three. The CZ is probably the most durable. Other people have valid opinions of guns I have no experience with.

I like DA/SA pistols, even better if they have a de-cocker but it's not a deal breaker.

I've lusted after Beretta's 84/85 models but never owned one.

RJM

I personally like the CZ 83 out of your list, but I believe one of, if not the best .380 being made today is the Sig P232. I carry one for CCW and it has been totally reliable and is very accurate. The Berettas are made well too, I cannot say that about the Bersa. I had several issues related to quality control with a Bersa Thunderer I owned.

6onthehip

re

many thanks for the input shooters - i knew this room would come through:D

i should have given more detail with my question:

not for CC - i have HK P2000 for that
money not an issue - dependability IS
this will most likely be a nightstand weapon for my wife when i'm not home-she's a little timid about my big weapons but has shot the .380 and is ok with it

interesting the bersa gets good feedback
i'll let this thread ride a little longer for some more recommendations

thanks again;)

Frankly, the only excuse for the .380 is that there are some truly tiny autoloaders that are very easy to conceal.

If you're talking about the Bersa or Beretta 84, you might as well go with a 9mm Parabellum.

Just my $0.02 worth.

dairycreek

CZ83FIST1-R.jpg

Out of the options in the OP's post I have the CZ-83 which is pictured with a FIST #1 holster.

I have had this particular pistol for several year and have nearly 1000 rounds through it (before the cost and availability of 380 ammo took a header) with absolutely no failure whatsoever.

It is, as other posters have mentioned, somewhat larger and heavier than some of its contemporaries and is IMHO not a pocket gun at all.

Having said that the CZ-83 has been an accurate and reliable carry gun for me and I recommend it without reservation.:D

Webleymkv

Have you considered a CZ-82? It's basically the same gun as the CZ-83 except it is chambered in 9x18 Makarov and has a polygonal rifled barrel. The 9x18 Makarov is slightly more powerful than the .380 is (about on par with the hot .380's from Buffalo Bore and Double Tap) but over the past year 9x18 ammo seems to be both more available and less expensive than .380. Also, CZ-82's can be had in my area for $200-250 putting them in the same or lower price range than the Bersa.

6onthehip

re

maybe i'm lucky where i live but the lack of ammo is not an issue down in this part of florida-a little pricey? to some maybe - but its available
being as i hope this weapon is never fired being a nightstand companion for my wife a couple of boxes of shells will last a good long time as i'll prolly be the one firing it during inspections

to be honest i am leaning towards the CZ for a couple of reasons - i don't already own one for one (one poster mentioned the sig and my P226 40 is the weapon i shoot the most---love it!!!!)but the mag release on the bottom of the 223 erks me,second the size/weight is not a problem the weight actually makes it feel like a gun to me-but mostly an all steel weapon and i'm ole school and i like metal guns---so far you guys have been very helpful!! thanks again

Kaiser T

HisSoldier: By 'second strike' I meant ability to press the trigger again in case of FTF, as in most of the new Taurus line. That is a good facility in single action pistols, so you don't have to rack the slide in a critical situation. (It is another matter whether the second strike will work or not.)

tristar viper

For the difference in money I wouldn't even consider a Beretta over the Bersa. We shot them both on the same day, and yes the Cheetah is a damn nice gun. Is it worth hundreds more than the Bersa? In my opinion "NO".
As far as the other two guns, the Browning and the CZ, I know nothing about either one.

PSP

i am looking for a new .380 - considering:

bersa thunder
browning pro
berreta cheetah
cz-83

I thought the Browning Pro was a 9mm??

The Bersa Thunder is OK, but at the same size and weight as the Beretta, I'd choose the Beretta because it is an overall better gun. If money is a facor get the Bersa. If quality is a factor get the Beretta.

The CZ83 is a good gun, but as mentioned it is the same size as the Beretta but much heavier. Mine gave me hammer bite. The CZ has no decocker...for me that is a game changer, (I don't do cocked and locked). Too many good guns to choose from to settle for one without a decocker.

They're all good guns. I love them all, one way or another. Of the ones considered, the Beretta is the highest quality and has all features I'd look for in a carry gun. In fact I did carry one for years. Good luck with your selection.

TEST004.jpg

AK103K

It is another matter whether the second strike will work or not.
I think its pretty much accepted that a second strike is a waste of time and you should not even consider it. You dont have time to diagnose the problem and need to get the gun immediately back into action, or immediately deal with the problem at hand in another way.

In the rare cases I've had primers in factory ammo (or my reloads for that matter) fail to detonate, none went off on the second or any of the other later strikes. Your best bet is to treat the failure to fire as a malfunction and immediately go into an IAD and clear the stoppage.