.380 Magtech Bullets 95gr. JHP Data

Dead-Nuts-Zero

Has anyone loaded the .380 Magtech 95 gr. JHP bullets? I have looked for loading data including Magtech website with no luck. I did write to Magtech, I am waiting for a reply.

Can anyone help?

almtiba

I did.

I used 3.6gr of win231. It measured an average of 970fps.

I loaded the same bullet with 4.1gr of win231 :p and made 1080fps. I know it's above the limits, but since .380 is the MOST POWERFUL round I can carry in Brazil, we try some HOT loads.

Oh, my gun is Beretta 84F.

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil

Dead-Nuts-Zero

Thanks for the data. I have not loaded any of the JHP yet. Magtech would not give me much help other that send me to the powder mfg.'s for them to give me charts. I picked up one of thoes .380 paper load manuals (it's the .380 only guide that is small, photo copied and stapled together for 6 bucks, they make them for popular cal.) and they had some tables that were close for starters.

I don't have, and never have used Win. 231 powder. I guess I should pick up a jug the next time and give it a try.

1080 fps is maybe too much for my Bersa.
Thanks for the reply.

Wrangler5

I've loaded the MagTech bullets using several powders. I only have a KelTec P3AT. For reference, Winchester White Box averages 818fps, and Remington averaged about 840, both with 95g bullets. The supposedly HotHotHot CorBon only averaged 903fps with a 90g bullet, while Speer 90g Gold Dots averaged 875. This is to give you an idea what my microscopic barrel does with various rounds.

With MagTech bullets I've tried Accurate #5, but only got 757fps at the maximum recommended charge of 4.8g, and got some bulged cases to boot. (The KT chamber does NOT fully supportive of the case head.) Universal Clays was even worse in the velocity department - 3.5g gave only 614fps. Note that Universal has about the same burning rate as W231, while #5 is slower and #7 is slower still.

Best velocity was with Accurate #7 - 6.5g gave 826fps average velocity, about equal to the commercial Winchester and Remington loads. (Using #7, I can also approximate the Speer Gold Dot commercial load using their bullets and 6.7g of powder.)

Dead-Nuts-Zero

Wrangler5

Have you used PowerPistol, Unique, Bullseye, 2400 powders for your .380?

These are some of the powders I have on hand. Maybe none of these are suited for the .380? I have not loaded any yet as I am setting up my dies and then had to swhich to another cal. I hope to find time soon to try the .380's
I still have about a case of new Magtech that I am burning up for now.

Thanks for posting your data. I will end up with the 231 when I pick up supplies the next time.

almtiba is pushing 1080, thats a little hot for me, have you tried anything in that range?

Your P3AT is a tiny gun If I remember correctly, that must be difficult to hang on with some of the hot rounds.
I will be looking for a pleasant round to shoot with good accuracy as my goal. It's just a fun cal. for me to take to the range.