380 MagSafe Ammo OK with SM&A pony pocketlite package????

RobertEsq1

I am reading a warning on MagSafe ammo not to use "in auto pistols which have been throated, as cases may rupture dangerously as the case head has inadequate support."

I noticed that the Scott McDougal & Associates PCP package includes throating. Does this apply?? What about RCBD ammo??

I know that there are alot of SM&A fans here with .380s please let me know.

pocketman

E-mail mac. theres a contact link on there home page (www.colt380.com)

I think most of us would be guessing by saying its o.k, I would think it would be fine, but if I was not sure I would contact them or magsafe.

I use win. sxt or el. starfire jhp's on my SM&A mustang.

Kentucky Rifle

I carried Magsafe Defenders in my Mustang Pocketlite for a long time before I found RBCD. I've been saying I want to send it off to SM&A and have that carry package done for a long time. But it's just that my Mustang works SO WELL, I'm afraid to send it somewhere. It's a little embarrassing.:eek: (You take a chance everydamntime you mail off your firearm.)

KR

RobertEsq1

Actually, I did post that question on the SM&A Forum (FAQ) page, no answer there yet, I'll let you know what they say. I just know there are alot of Colt SM&A PCP owners here who might shed some light on this issue.

johnwill

I'm having a difficult time imagining that the work that SM&A did to my Pocketlite makes it dangerous to shoot with standard pressure ammo! I think I'd be asking RCBD why they make that statement, rather than the other way. If it's truly unsafe in my pistol, I'm willing to bet it's unsafe in a lot of pistols! :eek:

RobertEsq1

I think MagSafe is saying that throated barrels in general do not provide suficient support to +P+ rounds and that the case rims might not hold up. SM&A "throat" their barrels hence my question is this just another super cautionary statement or is it of concern.

Jeff OTMG

I don't know that any MagSafe is loaded to standard pressure. Joe blew up more than one pistol during load development. All commercially available RBCD ammo is loaded to standard pressure and is perfectly safe to use in any well made firearm.

johnwill

Since there is no specifications for +P+, there is no way I put it in any of my guns. I don't shoot ammo that exceeds all existing SAMMI standards, which is what +P+ is.

RobertEsq1

Got the answer direct from SM&A. Apparently their emphasis is on polishing and not removing metal, hence the factory barrel is not affected.

So I am ok to try MagSafe.