.380 glock

golfnutrlv

They were developed for Latin America, where it is illegal to own weapons in military calibers. (9mm or higher)

You might be able to find one online, or used, but you can get a lot more functional .380's easily in the US.

Enjoy!

hoytinak

In order for a firearm to be imported into the US it has to meet a certain number on import points for different features....the G25 & G28 doesn't have enough points to be imported. (I think for it's size but not sure offhand)

So godspeed was correct in saying "because"...:D

That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen (referring to the "points" system).

Couldn't they (glock) import the parts and then "assemble" them here in the US?

I would think they would sell.

Thanks for the info, dog town.

Dave85

As hoytinak stated, Glock lists two pistols in .380 ACP: the G25 and the G28. Those familiar with Glock nomenclature will guess that the G25 is a compact. It shares identical dimensions with the G19 but is just a tad lighter. The G28 is a subcompact, and is dimensionally identical to the G26, again being slightly lighter. Both of these would qualify, at least by American standards, as large for the cartridge.

Full size .380 pistols are not at all popular in the United States, where more powerful chamberings are legal and plentiful. I don't have to tell anyone who has been paying attention this year how popular .380s have become recently. However, the guns that are flying off the dealers shelves and creating waiting lists are tiny hideout guns. Even the G28 is a little large for that class. And besides, since it is available in a 9mm (and is, in my experience, quite controllable in that chambering), most able-bodied shooters could be expected to choose the more powerful and less expensive round.

So, as always, it comes down to money. Reasonable sales predictions almost assuredly do not justify the expense and hassle of establishing or expanding a facility in the US to make an overlarge .380. Thus the Glock .380 will probably remain available only in the foreign (to us) markets for which it was created.

I didn't look closely at the dimensions. I just figured that the sub .380 (G25) would be a good bit smaller than the 9mm counterpart (G26).
Looks like that's not the case (still didn't REALLY look) :D.

Well then.... what's the point? I'd take a G26 anyway, then. Cheaper to shoot, more ammo choices, more punch.

NRAhab

Being a man of somewhat smaller stature, a Glock 19 or Glock 26 sized pistol in .380 ACP would be FREAKIN' SWEET, if you ask me. I like moderately sized .380s, the Beretta Cheetah is probably one of my favorite guns of all time. You can pack a bunch of rounds in one, shoot it fast and accurately, and I prefer belt/on the body carry to jamming a micro-gun into a pocket.

That's why I'm so happy about the Walther PK380, because it's a moderately sized .380. It's even lighter than the Cheetah, without going into the Ruger LCP territory of "I can't shoot this worth a damn".

Alleykat

Being a man of somewhat smaller stature, a Glock 19 or Glock 26 sized pistol in .380 ACP would be FREAKIN' SWEET, if you ask me. I like moderately sized .380s, the Beretta Cheetah is probably one of my favorite guns of all time. You can pack a bunch of rounds in one, shoot it fast and accurately, and I prefer belt/on the body carry to jamming a micro-gun into a pocket.

Even if you're a 3'-tall dwarf, I don't understand why you'd prefer a .380 to a 9mm, in the same-sized platform??

FWIW, there's no law against importing G25/G28 uppers. Glock could do that right now, but they just have no motivation to do so. There are some .380 Glocks in the U.S., and they're perfectly legal for anybody otherwise qualified to own handguns to own.

NRAhab

Because I'd rather shoot a .380 out of a compact platform than a 9mm. Easier to shoot, less muzzle flip. It's like the difference between shooting a fullsize .45 and a fullsize .40 - you trade terminal performance for more controllable shots.

NRAhab

In pocket sized pistols, like the Kel-Tyke I'd say yes. However, in medium frame guns like the Beretta Cheetah, the felt recoil impulse is much less with a .380.

YMMV.

Dave85

Ahab,

I, for one, hope that that Walther does well, and spurs others-maybe even Glock-to follow suit. I believe that, while there is only marginal demand among existing shooters, a standard/compact (not sub-compact) in .380 would be a boon for newcomers. It would be a great way to get a more effective pistol into the hands of those who cannot handle the DA trigger on a revolver, or the recoil of 9mm or up in an auto.

It looks also like it might be a great gun with which to introduce beginners to centerfire pistols. More expensive than a 9mm, to be sure, but the drop in recoil would be a valuable asset. My one curiosity is this: since they went big, wouldn't a locked-breech design have made more sense?* Then they could have put a lighter recoil spring in it, which would be helpful to those who are attracted to it because of hand strength concerns.

The traditional (difficult) choice for those folks seems to be a revolver, whose cylinder can be easily manipulated, but who's trigger can be difficult to pull, or an auto who's trigger they can pull, but who's slide is difficult to rack. Maybe a scaled-down P99 would have been a better way to go than a scaled-up P22?

Those in-the-know will always choose the most powerful cartridge/platform pairing they can handle. For some, a substantial .380 may be it. Like most on this forum, I can and do use more powerful guns. However, I like to see designs that create an opportunity to convert more people into shooters; for their own good and ours.

*BTW, the Kel Tec is actually a locked-breech design, as is the very similar Ruger LCP.

Alleykat

doesnt the blowback design of the .380 present very similar recoil to the 9mm?

Although I haven't shot a .380 Glock, nor, do I opine, has anybody else pontificating in this thread, I have heard reports from others who have fired the .380 Glocks who say that the recoil impulse is sharper with the .380. Can't imagine finding a 9mm muzzle flip "excessive"...but then, I'm a big guy, with manly arms and wrists. :)

goodspeed(TPF)

I have indeed fired the .380 caliber Glock in the same size/configuration as the model 19 9mm. Recoil was about on par with that of the 9. Let me say this once. It makes no financial sense for Glock to sell the exact same gun in a .380 caliber when it is available in 9mm in the USA. Other markets have different needs. If you can not control the recoil impulse of standard pressure 9x19mm ammunition from the Glock model 19 then you need to either grow stronger, or look elsewhere for a handgun that suits your needs. It is this SIMPLE.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
The ONLY reason the 380 is not available in the US is that it doesn't garner enough "import points", if it did Glock would sell it here. Whether anyone would buy it is a different question.