.380 defense rounds

Mossy500

I just picked up a Kel-Tec P3at and want to carry it as my CCW gun. I have heard problems with Hollow Points feeding in the small 380s and was wondering what has worked for you, any experience with the PowRball ammo (at a buck per round i want to get some feedback before i buy)

Mrgunsngear

My LCP and Bodyguard have both run Speer and Hornady TAP without any failure on either gun. Since the feed system on a Keltec is very similar to the LCP I'm guessing that should translate. That said, you need to test any SD ammo in the gun you plan on using it in before entrusting your life to it...

Sheikyourbootie

I just use fmj in this caliber. It's under-powered enough without "putting the breaks" on a slow/light bullet. If I err with this caliber, I want to make sure I err on the side that gives me the most penetration.

It's your tushy on the line though.

nate45

I used to have a P3AT I loaded it with Winchester flat tip FMJ. It functioned with Silvertips and the 102 grain Golden Saber though. I just felt more comfortable with FMJ for function and penetration. Some will say that if a HP bullet doesn't expand it will act as a FMJ, however penetration tests don't bare that out. The cavity when filled with clothing, or partially open impedes penetration. So I like to stick to FMJ in short barreled .25, .32 and .380 Autos. In a longer barreled .380 I'd probably use the 102 grain Golden Saber, maybe the Barnes XP. Actually the Barnes XP, might expand well from the P3AT, I don't know I've never checked.

One thing important to remember is that the P3AT needs to be cleaned frequently to stay functioning well. Take it to the range and you'll see, after the powder residue builds up, the failures to feed and go into battery increase. As long as its good and clean and the extractor and ejector are adjusted right they work well, for a few magazines, but thats all you need for defense.:)

OlympicFox

We have two 380's that we use for carry when the situation makes it difficult to carry a larger pistol; my Sig P238 & my wife's Sig P232.

Both are generally loaded with either Cor-Bon DPX or Winchester Ranger-T. Sometimes, I'll run Buffalo Bore +P JHP in my P238 in the summer months. When in doubt, we go with the DPX as it is consistently one of the most reliable expanding rounds as well as the best penetration. The Buffalo Bore +P is really hot - I doubt I'd want to use it in a Kel-Tec or LCP.

Glaser Pow'RBall sounds like a really good round but it's performance history is definitely less than advertised. Plus, I've also found it unreliable in more guns than most JHPs.

The 380 ACP round is at the lower end of the defensive rounds so ammo selection is almost as important as shot placement. Cor-Bon DPX and Ranger-T are my go to rounds in all of my defensive guns: 380, 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

Water-Man

I've run Hornady Critical Defense, Double Tap JHP & FMJ, Remington Golden Saber, Winchester PDX1 and Buffalo Bore 100gr.+P HCFN through my P3AT with no problems. The BB is my carry choice.

AndyWest

I use Cor-Bon JHPs in my Ruger P3AT. Recently, the 90gr 1050fps 220ft/lbs variety with no issues whatsoever. Feeding, ejection all flawless. Of course keep it clean and pay special attention to that feed ramp if you're using JHPs. If you shoot a box once a month it's not very expensive and helps you feel confident with that ammo.

LockedBreech

I run Remington Golden Saber 102-grain in a Ruger LCP with zero issues with about 100 fired (and no issues with the various brand 600 rounds of FMJ round and flat nose).

I am planning to switch to Federal Hydra-Shok or Hornady FTX at my yearly refresh, due to what seem to be higher penetration results without the core-jacket issue.

Also switching from Federal HST 180-grain in my .40 to Speer Gold Dot 180-grain. The HST is an equal round to the Gold Dot, just a bit more scarce, and I don't want any trouble finding my chosen ammo.

30-30remchester

I shot some resecently dead antelope and deer (dead less than a minute) using Cor-Bon DPX, Remington Golder Sabre, and Buffalo Bore 95 grn FMJFN. I shot mainly in the chest cavity and recovered a few bullets. When bone wasnt encountered the DPX,s performed as advertised, however I have 2 DPX's fired in a snubnosed 38 that encountered bone and their expansion was destorted. The single Golder Sabre recovered from an antelope showed text book classic expansion. All functuioned flawlessly from my LCP. Far more testing is required to get a reliable results.

tjhands

In a .380acp, forget the hollow-point ammo.

I sometimes carry an LCP. I load it with Buffalo Bore 95g +P FMJ.

LockedBreech

In a .380acp, forget the hollow-point ammo.

I sometimes carry an LCP. I load it with Buffalo Bore 95g +P FMJ.

When I first got my LCP I was going to use BB +p, but it made the recoil incredibly awful, misfed, and then I read in the LCP's manual that it is not an okay gun to use with +p. I know a lot of folks use +p in the LCP, but I figure Ruger had a reason for saying no to it.

I am considering a switch to their 100-grain standard pressure hard cast flat nose, though.

Last edited:

michael t

A KelTec was used by Corbon to develop the DPX round in 380. I have the DPX in all my 380's amd now in 9 and 45 as well.
I think a 380 HP will work just fine in a SD situtition .

HShack

My LCP would not feed either the Win. flat nose FMJ or Corbon DPX, so I put a DPX up the pipe and round nose FMJ in the magazine.

I also stick with 95 gr. FMJs when carrying this caliber.

JHPs, if they expand, usually fail to produce 12" of penetration. I gotta have at least that for my needes. FMJs will provide about 16"-18" of penetration and will do just fine if I put the bullet where it needs to go.

RalphS

In my LCP, the Speer 90 grain GDHP bullets chrono at 908 fps. The WWB 95 grain flat point bullets chrono at 863 fps.

I carry the WWB 95 grain flat points.

Evil Monkey

here's the deal with 380 hollowpoints.

if they penetrate deep, that means they ain't expanding much, if at all. Same thing as a FMJ, no better....

If they expand very well, they ain't penetrating deep enough.

stick with FMJ.

Daekar

I second the other posters, stick with a flat-nose.

IMHO, the best bullet for 380 is a flat-nose lead one like the buffalo bore. A bit less friction, a bit more weight. I would definitely heed the warning against +P cartridges though... the gain isn't worth it if it will damage the gun.

If I could afford to buy Buffalo Bore, I would. Since I can't, I carry WWB FNFMJ until the day comes I can reload the bullets I prefer.