.380 bullet diameter...?....358 too big?

Stargazer

I usually purchase my bullets to reload with at the local Gun Shows here in Dallas. Last Big Town show I was at a vendor that sells bullets had some marked .380 caliber. They were 88 grain JHP bullets named Remington brand. I purchased (100) and the next day attempted to load some. I went to seat the bullet and it was very tight going up into the seating die. I thought this odd so I tried another one, same thing. Tight going in and out of the seating die. I grabbed the calipers and checked the bullets and they measured .358" in diameter. ALL the .380 bullets I have ever purchased were .355-356" max for jacketed bullets.

Is this .358" bullet too large for the .380 barrel? The last 3/16" of the brass on the outside of those two cases are shiny as they had rubbed the inside of the seating die.

What gun were these bullets made to be fired in? Same size as a 38 special bullet but kind of small for that caliber. 9x18mm uses .355" bullets too. 9mm, .355". Any ideas?

Tex S

The following is per Lyman 48th edition...

"Groove diameters have been measured as small as .355" to as large as .362". Such variations can play havoc with accuracy. Because of chamber restrictions it is generally not safe to load bullets of a diameter larger than .355". Heavy (long) bullets of .355" diameter may cause case bulging due to the internal case taper. This may be ignored so long as the outside diameter of the case at the bulge does not exceed .374". Winchester 231 is an outstanding performer with all weight bullets in this cartridge."

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Stargazer

Thanx Tex, I do not plan to load these bullets and shoot any of them through my .380 LCP. I really don't think that vendor should be selling them as .380 bullets either. Some new to reloading may not realize that tight fit in the seating die is not normal.

Tex S

You might be able to catch him at the Fort Worth gun show this weekend; I know alot of vendors travel back and forth between the two shows.

B.T.W., did you happen to see any primers at Big Town?

Stargazer

B.T.W., did you happen to see any primers at Big Town?

Yes the place I bought the bullets had some. $28 and $32. I will catch him at the next Big Town show. Already alerted the organizer to ask him to recheck those bullets and possibly re-label them. Good bullets, just wrong size for the stated application.

JT-AR-MG42

If they fit, use 'em

For some time before reliably expanding bullets for the .380 came out, I would buy boxes of .38 special Remington 95 gr. H.P.'s and pull the bullets to reload in .380. Made to expand at .38 ( 850-950 fps. ) velocities, those babys really shined in .380.
Driven to top velocities, they penetrated soaked phone books deeply enough to suit me with consistant .600 diameters.
They fed perfectly through a Sig 230 and a PPK.
You could see how the bullets bulged the cases, but so what. I was after performance, not aesthetics.
JT

FrankenMauser

The only way for you to know they'll be safe, is to slug the bore. A chamber cast would be a good idea, too.

However, it's probably much cheaper to just find somewhere to dump those bullets, and forget about them. (Or return them to the seller.)

The only .380 I have ever seen with a .358" bore is... well, mine. I own a Taurus PT-138. After putting quite a few rounds through it, I noticed some really funky stuff in the bore. Over most of the length of the lands and grooves, the grooves showed almost no contact marks. There were a couple spots, though, that looked like they had contacted some bullets. (not all) So, I slugged it.
When the slug popped out the muzzle, it measured .358" x .359", with a tight spot at .357". Yay! Taurus rules! ...I think their idea of quality control only applies to guns returned for repair...

If it were me, I would try to get a refund. Even if your pistol is safe with them, it sounds like your dies will be unhappy. Your brass would have a shorter life, as well.

Stargazer

I plan to return them to the vendor in about 3 weeks when the show makes it back to Big Town. I have shot a sand bag rest 5/8" 5-shot group using .355" bullets so I think this is "my" correct diameter. It was only for sighting in my laser at 15 feet, but if the bore had been "loose" I don't think I wouild have gotten that 5/8" group. 3 made a cloverleaf and the other two were touching one another. I tested some over the PACT and on a group of my reloads with .355" bullets I got an SD of only 12.4 over a 5-shot group. Had they been "loose" I don't think I would have gotten an SD that low. :)

I've had good luck w/Rem slugs for my .380 but never miked the o.d., lately I've been shooting cast mostly (practice loads) but have loaded the Golden Saber Rem for my .380 (BDA) and it really shines.

totalloser

.358" is only .001" larger than standard cast lead pills in 9mm Luger, or .380 acp. Probably not enough to worry about.

I must say, I have never handled a pair of calipers I truly trusted to hold .001" tolerance. Just a thought.

Another thing regarding .358" projectiles, is that they generally are earmarked for .357, .38 special etc, but are often listed by the mold manufacturer as good for 9mm/380 applications. IE mold manufacturers (Lee and Lyman to name a couple) seem to think .358" is fine in a .355 bore meant for .356 jacketed or .357 cast.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless there is significant accuracy/leading problems.

And +1 9x18mak is different diameter!