.380 ACP

SDforce

What are your opinions on this round for off-duty/back-up carry?

Which would be better route:

1) Beretta 92fs as a duty weapon with a Sig 232 in .380 as back up and off duty.

2) Beretta 92fs on duty with a 5 shot S&W Airlite .38+p revolver as back up and a Sig 239 in 9mm for off duty.

I've always thought of the .380 as a mouse gun, but I want your intelligent opinions.
Thanks.

Dagny

Go with the .38spl airlight rather than the .380 auto. If you really want a superlight auto, then look at Kel-tecs P11 in 9mm or the Kel-tec P32. The 9mm delivers more punch than the .380 and has a much broader selection of ammunition. The P32 rivals the .380 with hot Fiocchi or Cor-bon loads and is a LOT lighter and smaller.

But do seriously consider the reliability of a revolver as backup if you end up struggling with a perp. Autos have been known fail after the first shot if the gun is pressed against the guy's ribs and the slide can't slide well due to clothes, angle, etc.

[This message has been edited by Dagny (edited September 03, 2000).]

WebHobbit

I agree with your first instinct about the 380 being a mouse gun.

As small as the j-frame is I really can't see ANY reason whatsoever to carry any caliber smaller/less powerful than the .38.

And really I think with good training/practice one could just use the .357 Magnum 110 grain SJHP load and forget about anything less.

But, generally I think the .38 is the LEAST amount of power one should use for self-defense.

ak9

.380 in magsafe or RBCD is devestating. Great backup if you get the right gun. I prefer the Colt gov't .380, but there are other choices. Interestingly, the .32 has better stopping statistics then the .380 according to Sanow.

FUD

Given the two choices, I would go with #2. However, have you considered carrying a sub-compact 9mm (Kel-Tec, one of the Kahrs -- either the K or MK line) as your on-duty back-up? The tactical advantage would be that you could use the ammo from your duty firearm in your back-up weapon without having to carry extra/different ammo. Consider this ...

Let's say you're carry an SIG 232 in an inside the waist belly band with a spare magazine. You now only have 15 (or is it 17?) rounds of .380ACP but if you're carry something like a Kahr, once you're empty, you can use the ammo in your 92 magazines to reload your Kahr mags.

... Something to think about. FUD.

johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ak9:
Interestingly, the .32 has better stopping statistics then the .380 according to Sanow. [/quote]

If you really believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like you to consider buying. :)

No4Mk1*

Is the .380 any smaller or lighter than a Kahr P9 9mm? The P9 would have more power than either .380 or a snub .38. Just think about what was said above about reliability of an auto vs revolver.

johnwill

My Cold Mustang Pocketlight is indeed smaller in every diminsion than the Kahr, as well as 12.5oz vs. 17.5oz empty. It's the difference between comfortable pocket carry or bulging pocket carry.

Yes, it's not a 9mm, but it sure beats the .22's that I see people talking about here.