.380 ACP load data

OEF-Vet

I am looking for a light plinking load for .380 ACP
I plan to use Magtech 85gr JHP GOLD bullets and HP38 powder.
We will be using a S&W Bodyguard 380 with a 2"3/4 barrel.
I want these loaded down for teaching a new shooter but I want to make sure the weapon still functions properly.

Thanks in advance.

Idaho Spud

Can't help you with a specific load as I use lead projectiles (I'm cheap) for loading 380 plinkers. I would suggest using 90 gr. jacketed data at the "start" load and work up (or down) 'til you have the function and velocity you want.

edit: start load for W231/HP38 is 3.2 gr. as per Hodgdon site for 90 gr. GDHP

Last edited:

AFK

For cheap plinkers I use 95 gr FMJ from RMR, only $66.00 per 1000 shipped. They are pulled, but I don't care for plinking. I use 3.1 W231/HP38. It is very accurate and cycles my Kahr P380 reliably.

OEF-Vet

Thanks guys,
The bullet and powder selection was simply because that's what I have on hand and we will be hitting the range in the morning. I am really just looking to take the sting out of a mouse gun for some extended range time with a shooter who has little experience with these types of weapons. She knows the fundamentals of pistol shooting but I want her to have enough range time to form muscle memory with the weapon she plans to carry. Without forming bad habits ie anticipating recoil, because this weapon is small and snappy.

Idaho Spud

Just got an LCP a coupla weeks ago, (also load for a Colt 380 Gov't) so know what you're saying. I'm using Win AA+ @2.0 gr. with a 107 gr. lead semi-wadcutter (also 95 and 104 gr cast) that has virtually non-existent recoil. Friend gave me a lb. of it cuz he couldn't find data for it. Don't look for this powder, it's obsolete, but sure is great for light 380 loads for kids and the recoil-conscious. Like shooting a pellet-gun. Can get a lot of loads outta a lb. at 2 grains or less. Gonna be sad when it's gone.

rdmallory

Depends,

What worked good in my Kel-Tec would not cycle my Kahr.

Start with published loads and if it cycles stop.

Doug