.380 ACP 1st time---Whew!

PolarFBear

I am not new to reloading (15 years) but today I tried my first 380's. Not fun. I had just finished a run of 200 9MM in Winchester brass with Hornady 115 gr XTP HP. No problems. Set the Dillon 550B up for the 380's using Lee dies. Out of a run of 50 RP cases, I crushed 15+ cases. Some on the decap/sizer others on the powder die. Plus, some completed rounds would not pass the go-no go gauge. A few were to large near the base to "chamber" others chambered right up to the rim but would not go the last length equal to the base rim. I used 95 grain Berry's plated FMJ over 3.3 grains of W-231. Perhaps it is the RP brass. I did note the brass seemed a bit thinner than the 9mm. I will try another brand of brass, Winchester, when my frustration subsides. Any thought on these little 380 "sucker"?

dwhite

Are your 9mm dies Lee's? My 40 dies, from Lee, have very little chamfer on the bore. If things aren't lined up pretty good the cases don't go in. I think they do this intentionally to size as much of the case as possible. Would help remove any "guppy belly" the case would have. Wouldn't want to load that case though. Metal is fatigued excessively.

Might check your bullet diameter too. They may be oversize making the round oversize and thus not chamber.

All the Best,
D. White

lamarw

How loose is the brass in the shell holder? I have not had problems with the .380, but I had a dickens of a time with .32 ACP until I learned they were a little loose in the recommended size shell holder and tended to lean a bit or move to the side. I solved it by lightly holding it straight with my finger as I lowered the leaver to my turret press.

Don't know if you can do this or not with the Dillon. You might want to see how loose the brass is in the shell holder. If tight, then this is not the solution.

condor bravo

No problem with the .380 but similar happenings with other cartridges and the 550b. Sounds like either some slight misalignment between die and shell plate, or looseness of case within the shell plate, causing cases to catch on the edge of certain dies, resulting in a crush. If there doesn't seem to be a cure for this, the alternative is probably just to slowly and carefully guide the case into the offending die, usually the sizer. This may require pushing the case one way or another with a finger to achieve proper alignment. Can be somewhat of a common problem. See if there is excessive wobble with a case in the shell plate that could cause the case to tilt as it enters the die. Neck flaring by the powder die probably does not enter the picture except that the flare must be removed when seating but you no doubt know that from loading the 9mm's. Simply iron out the flare with no further crimping. Could over crimping cause this thin case to buckle near the base? Don't really know but possible I guess.

Last edited:
Hmmm.according to my reloading log I've loaded over 300 380acps this calendar year (lee classic turret and lee dies) No issues with crushing cases so I can't guess what's wrong.

Nathan

They are small, but flow fine through my Hornady LNL Progressive. I have loaded about 300. I plan to load a bunch this month again.

PolarFBear

Head stamp?

Congratulations for your success. BerettaProfessor, may I humbly request you inspect your reloading diary for perusal and submission of the head stamps with which you have had your accomplishmnet. I may have attempted to load a headstamp of questionable quality.

condor bravo

The .380 problem does not happen with the .380 only, but actually more common with longer cases that do not not enter a die properly, usually the sizer, but due to misalignment or tipping within the shell plate, are scraped on the edge of the die and crushed. The OP's other part of the problem with the .380 was the base of some cartridges bulging or at least being oversize and not allowing the cartridge to chamber. A possibility for that might be over crimping and causing the case to buckle near the base but have never encountered that. Similar to over crimping a rifle case resulting in a bulged shoulder.

alexcue

I've had a few issues with the .380, so I went from the XL650 to the Lee Classic Turret Press. As others have said, sometimes you need to lean the case a tad, but I only have the issue when I prime it. Otherwise it's good to go.

PS, i'm careful with the flare too now, the mixed cases were causing shaved plating every now and then, till I opened up a tad more. Now, no issues.

reloader28

I found that Lee dies didnt fit worth a darn when I went from RCBS to my new 650. Everything was bottomed out. I switched to Dillon dies for 9mm and 380 and it was VERY much worth the extra money. I'll be switching the rest of my progressive press dies over to Dillon eventually.

I have no problems loading 380 and load them by the thousands.

TailGator

I only reload handgun calibers, but I found the die setup on .380 to be the most critical of any. I just kept reworking and tweaking my adjustments ever so slightly until I got them right, then locked those babies in.

The rounds that chamber up to the rim might have some little nicks around the rim. I see that more with .380 than other rounds, often enough that I keep a little triangle file at my bench for de-burring them.

Mixed headstamps but primarily R&P or Win or Starline. In reference to another recent post, because I am loading in a turret press and have spare turrets, I essentially never have reset my dies after the initial run adjustment.