38 Wad Cutter Loads

bullet44

I have great results using Red Dot powder with
158 gr swc. Go with the lowest suggested load
in your reloading manual and work up, red dot
does great with accuracy at the slower speeds.

WIL TERRY

SMITH M52'S AND WC BULLETS

HEADS UP HERE GUYS: THE M52 ONLY TAKES WADCUTTER BULLETS- NOT SWC BULLETS- PERIOD.
MY M52 LIKED FULL CHARGE WC LOADS BEST, NOT THE MID RANGE LOADS IN THE MANUALS.
MATTER OF FACT I'VE NEVER SEEN A 38SPECIAL THAT DIDN'T SHOOT ITS' BEST WITH FULL CHARGE WC LOADS.
FOR YOUR M52 YOU SHOULD TEST BULLSEYE, RED DOT, GREEN DOT, 231, HP38, 452AA, AA2 ETC ETC, IN CHARGES FROM 2.7gr [ MID-RANGE ] to 3.4gr [ FULL CHARGE ], AND I'VE GONE AS FAR AS 4.4gr WITH SOME POWDERS IN THE M52.

bullet44

Thanks for the info, my shooting is with a stub
nose and a full size smith model 19 but using
swc158 gr.accuracy is better at the lower loading.
But in truth I have seen very few guns that give
better accuracy with hot loads that includes
rifles, with over 35 years of loading.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
David you are gonna LOVE the 52! I bought one way back in 65 when I was competing in outdoor pistol on the different service teams and still shoot it to this day!

When I run across some 148 HBWC such as from Speer or Hornday etc. I buy them by the 500's. If I cant find any at a bargin I cast my own 148's with the Lyman mold.

With the Lyman I seat them upside down because the little "tit" on the front of the bullet makes it a lil long to load into the magazine.

With both bullets I use 3 to 3.2 grains of Bullseye. If I am reloading for a REVOLVER I use 2.5 grains. The 52 likes a little extra whoomp to make it function reliably. To this day that Model 52 can shoot a lot better than I can :D.

Enjoy it!

Gewehr98

I switched to WST...

I'd been running W231 in my Model 52, when I switched to the cleaner-burning WST in my 9mm and .45 ACP handloads. On a whim, I switched to WST in the .38 Special 148gr HBWC loads, and settled on 2.8 grains. I doubt I'll ever change from this load. I did start using the load behind the Berry's 148gr copper-plated HBWC's, so now it's even cleaner, no leading!:)