38 SUPER

toyman69

I just put a springer 1911-A1 on lay-away. I have a couple questions about it though. it has aroll markon the slide that reads factory compensated. but it has no compensator on it. it does however have an extra inch of barrel sticking out past the slide that is threaded. did the compensator screw on? any info on this or the cartridge would be welcomed. thanks.
sorry my better picture will not upload.

Attachments

• basketball 043.jpg
    basketball 043.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 183

graysonp

Are there slots/holes machined in the top of the barrel? If so, that would be the compensator. Most of the guns that are compensated from the factory don't have an extended hood to cover the barrel. It looks just like the pic you posted.

38 Super is a very cool cartridge. You generally have to reload to reach the cartridges potential, because factory ammo (from what I've found) is closer to a 9mm+P. But you can get these guns into 357 range by reloading.

WC145

Cor-Bon has hot .38 Super ammo that taps into the round's potential more than most of the others. Check their website or ballistic specs.

Out of curiosity, why are you buying a gun you know so little about, particularly in .38 Super? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great round and have a few guns in that caliber, but it's kind of obscure.

toyman69

there are no slots milled in to the barrel. I have a few 1911 in 45 and recently been looking to expand the collection and the 38 super seems like it is a good choice as a lot of IDPA shooters use it. I was toying with the Idea of shooting games, like idpa.

Last edited:

toyman69

if I were to use this springer in IDPA what do I need to do to it? should I put on a mag-well. do I need to use hot loads ?

RickB

Compensators generally do screw onto the barrel, so perhaps yours just had the comp removed? If the barrel does not have a bushing, you will have to replace it with a bushing barrel for use in IDPA. The gun must also fit in a box of specified size, and I suspect the long barrel will be too long for the gun to fit in the box, regardless of the bushing situation. So, best case, cut the barrel down so the gun will fit in the box. Worst case, replace the barrel with a 5" bushing barrel.

Skans

Why don't you ever hear of anyone carrying .38 Super? It seems to only be for competitive shooting - just wondering.

NoSecondBest

This gun had a compensator on it and it was removed for some reason. The end of the barrel was threaded to add the compensator. I've owned several 38 Supers and they are great guns for competition. However, for carrying, they don't have any real advantages over the 40, or the 45 for defensive purposes. For competition shooting they are a great caliber for a compensated unlimited gun. Low recoil with a compensator, and most are very accurate if they are built by a knowledgible smith.

RickB

The Super is starting to go the way of the dinosaur, again. It was sort of dormant in the post-war years, until resurrected for practical pistol competition in the '90s. Now that USPSA allows loading 9mm to major power factor, "everyone" is going 9mm (cheap brass) and the Super is in decline. I like the Super in the 1911 platform, because it shares the general overall length of the .45 ACP, and rounds of that length function best in the 1911.

RickB

Both guns can be shot in IDPA Enhanced Service Pistol division, so it would come down to which you prefer. You can also shoot the LDA in Stock Service Pistol. It would also be legal for USPSA Production, Limited, and Limited 10 divisions, though really suitable only for Production.

toyman69

thanks for all the good advice. I'm looking forward to shooting in an IDPA setting. nervous but excited maybe I'll take them both.

toyman69

Just got her out of lay-a-way. I will be taking her to the range this weekend. I will give a full report on how she shoots soon

greyson97

I think you got ISPC and IDPA confused

IDPA doesnt have major minor classifications while IPSC does

the reason why 38 super is popular in IPSC is because you can adjust your bullet load to have a recoil very similar to a 9mm, but still be considered in the major caliber class.

in IDPA, for practical intents and purposes, you use nearly stock guns to engage in "realistic" self defense scenarios, so except for the enhanced class, you're using nearly stock guns, and 9mm counts as much as .45 when scoring

RickB

In USPSA competition, shooters used .38 Super to make major in Open division because it allowed them to load more rounds in a magazine than they could with a .45. 9mm could not take the pressure and remain within SAAMI standards, so USPSA banned if from use for major power factor.
In IDPA competion, .45 competes against minor power loads only if the shooter desires; you can shoot full-power .45 against minor power 9s, .40s, etc., but only .45 ACP is required to make major in CDP division. The minor powered guns score the same as major, but the two do not compete against each other, as they do in USPSA, in order to recognize the advantages of higher capacity and easier shot-to-shot placement.
Rather than try to "handicap" the relative capacities of major and minor the way USPSA does, IDPA separates them into separate divisions where their scores are not comparable.

rduckwor

From the looks of that barrel, I doubt the gun will fit the IDPA standard box. Not important for local matches, but any sanctioned match will require you to make size and weight as well as power.

Good Luck,