.38 Super questions

I've been reloading .45 ACP for 1911s for several years. I'd like to branch out to include .38 Super. I have brass, and I have bullets. The problem I face is that the only pistol powder I have is Winchester 231, and the Hodgden/Winchester web site doesn't offer any load data at all for .38 Super using Win 231.

Does anyone have some light/starting level loads with Win 231, or is it monumentally bad idea to even think about using it? It seems to work fine in 9mm.

Nick_C_S

Speer #14

Speer #14 has data for 124's: 4.8gn - 5.3gn.
And for 147's: 4.3gn - 4.8gn.

Oddly, they have no data for 115's. I'd think that'd be the ideal weight for 231. Go figure.

If I had 115's, I'd start at 5.0gn.

lee n. field

Lyman's Pistol and Revolver Handbook (2nd edtion) has a bunch of bullets with loadings for 231 listed. (Happen to have this manual next to me.)

What bullet?

lee n. field said:
Lyman's Pistol and Revolver Handbook (2nd edtion) has a bunch of bullets with loadings for 231 listed. (Happen to have this manual next to me.)

What bullet?
The actual ordering part of Berry's web site doesn't offer as many weights as their "bullet board" indicates. Looks like my choice comes down to a 130-gr plated RN or a 130-gr plated RN. Berry's advice is to use data for hard-cast lead, or mid-range for FMJ.

Thanks.

lee n. field

closest I see in that manual is for a Sierra 130 grain FMJ. 231 shows a starting load of 4.5 grains and a top load of 5.7.

j357

:confused: I would go back and revisit the Hodgdon website http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol and select the ".38 Super Auto" as my round of preference and bullets in any weight. Although you don't specify bullet weight in the OP, I see several offerings in appropriate bullet weights in both W231 and HP-38 (same powder). 124g to 130g bullets are considered the best for .38 Super, perhaps you were selecting on a lower weight bullet, which kept the loads for these from coming up in your results.

Post back with your available bullet weight and you might get a few suggestions.