.38 super gp100

Pezo

Have any of you ever safely fired .38 super in a .357 mag revolver. I understand you will need to use a dowel for extraction but will they safely fire?

elmrich

A buddy of mine safely fired a 38 super bullet through his Ruger .357 magnum revolver. Now that I am older and wiser I would ask one of the experts on this board before letting him try it again just to be on the safe side.

grendelbane

It is not a practice that I recommend. While the cartridge will fit into the chamber the semi-rim of the .38 Super is not as thick as the rim of the .357 magnum. This will result in excess headspace.

It is a non-recommended practice that you could probably get away with a lot. S&W makes a .38 Super revolver, and I like that idea quite a lot.

mtnboomer

What grendelbane said!

I will add that accuracy will be less than lousy as the .38 Super uses .355" bullets like the 9mm Para instead of .357" like the .38 Spl./.357 Mag.

Ramcharger

back in the 1980s when the .38 Super was comming on strong competition shooting one of the gun rags at the time came out with an article like "Shoot .38 super in you .357"
So it must be ok.

Ramcharger

I think if you shoot a .38 Super 1911 and you also have say a GP100 and don't want to reload two different calibers then you can just load .38 supers for both.
Now while I didn't shoot .38 Super out of my GP100 I did pick up some bulk 124 JHP 9mm bullets for reloading cheaper than the cheapest lead bullets I saw at the last gunshow. The .355s shot ok out of the Ruger.