38 Super bullet question

Joe Portale

Hello,

Here is my dilemna, I have 1911 in 38 Super that I like to shoot. The problem is that a standard 38 Super bullet is hard to russle up in these parts. At the suggestions of others, I have loaded 9mm bullets. AT best the accuracy with the 9mm bullet is irratic. Actually I can push a .355 bullet down the barrel with a piece of dowel with hardly any effort.

Has anyone done this or is this even feasible, to use a .357 bullet in this gun? I look at the diamteres, 9mm (.355), 38 Sup (.356) and 38/357 (.357) It seems that this could be done with reasonably safety. Or am I all wet on this?

Thanks.

C.R.Sam

I see no reason why you can't do it as long as you pay attention and start low and work up with the load. As one should always do with a new load.

A lot of .357/.38spec bores are smaller than the nominal for .38 super........and a lot of 9mm bores are larger than the nominal for .357. Always a good idea to slug YOUR barrel anyway.

Sam

C.R.Sam

Gotta add..........since you may be workin with bullets of different shape from those specified in your loading books.......watch the case capacity below the bullet base and also the overall length. If you have to seat one too deep to get overall length right...DONT. Pressures can get out of control in a heartbeat.

Sam

Gunslinger45

Good advise - can't add much.
Have a Combat Elite .38 Super, did OK with .355 bullets, I just wanted to see how close I could come to an "auto-loading .357" using the Rem 125 "tulip jacket" HP. Got up to 1215 fps without signs of excessive pressure - needed a real strong recoil spring to keep the brass in the same zip code !