.38 super am i crazy?

porkskin

for some reason i really want a kimber in .38 super. i have owned a few 1911 .45's, and really don't like .45's that much. i do like 1911's though and because i don't currently own one i NEED one. am i crazy to want a .38 super? is ammo stupid expensive vs. .45? i've heard that it is easier to get a lemon in this caliber than others

Grayrider

My Kimber HD II in .38 Super ran fine. I miss that gun a bit. I currently have a Para .38 Super single stack. It had some extraction issues but Para says they fixed it. I have not had time to run it to the range to find out.

.38 Super is a really fun round in a 1911. Like 9mm 1911s, it has very little kick. The guns are often very accurate. My Para will put every round through the same hole with boring regularity. .38 Super tends to feed better than 9mm in a 1911 due to the overall length of the round. One can also often run 9x23 through the same guns. Truly an underappreciated round.

GR

gmeister

I have at least 7 different .45 ACP guns, so I am a big fan of the caliber, but I would really like to have a .38 Super. I've had my eyes open for a used .38 Super for at least 6 months but I guess I don't want one enough to go out and buy a new one.

I usually buy my guns by checking several local shops about once a week for guns that interest me and also have a price that I consider reasonable or better. My local dealers say they seldom get .38 Supers. (I don't usually buy online.)

RickB

I can understand wanting a Super .38, but a Kimber? ;)
The Super is a really fun round in the 1911. I don't have any need for "hot" Super loads, so all my ammo is loaded at about 9mm ballistic levels. A great plinker, and perfect for mid-bore competition.

Duxman

I shoot IPSC regularly and most of the top shooters use .38 Super to achieve the velocity needed for the "Major" calibers.

The cartridge is very loud (combined with their compensator + buck rodgers type space gun 1911 style), and virtually no recoil.

.38 Super is very expensive as a plinking cartridge, somewhat hard to find commercially, most folks who use it - reload.

Good luck.

Goliath

yea, my brother thinks I'm nuts for wanting a .45 Super. It's compatible with the .45 ACP and it's got even more stopping power for just a mild increase in recoil.

kahrcarry

I recently picked up one of the SA Mil-Specs in .38 Super, my first adventure into .38 Super territory. From what I've found, .38 Super and .45 ACP ammo run in roughly the same price-range. Midway and Cheaperthandirt have some decent prices for it. If you do get a .38 Super, and have never shot one before, let me warn you about the muzzle flash. It's truly impressive.

eerw

38 super is just one those cool rounds to have..

easy and fun to shoot..

it really shines if you reload..lots of bullet/powder combos to work with...

Hunter Customs

I'm currently finishing a commander size custom built from the frame up in 38 super caliber. I had the gentleman come to the shop the other day to test fire the gun using both 38 super and 38 super comp ammo. The gun digested both types of ammo with out a bobble, it sure is sweet to shoot. Apply the bluing to this one and it will be ready to go.
I liked shooting the gun so much I'm thinking I may have to build me one if I can ever find the time.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

1tomcat

The flame, muzzle blast and noise are really impressive but have never owned one so couldnt comment on the rest of it .