.38 Spl Wadcutter dies by RCBS

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Guys I need an answer :D.

For more years than I will admit to I have loaded .38 Spl. wadcutters both for my .357 "N" frame S&W, and my Model 52 S&W with regular RCBS .38Spl dies. These include both commercial hollow base wadcutters and solid ones that I cast myself.

A few days ago on E-bay I saw a set of RCBS .38 Spl. dies up for auction that were claimed to be for "wadcutter" use.

I never heard of a special die for this. I went to RCBS's website but could not find anything on them. I also checked "Handloading" by Nonte and could find no mention on this.

Could someone explain to me what the differnece is? Is it the seating stem (that's the only thing I can think of) that's different or what?

cheygriz

Southla,

I think that what the seller meant was that his seating die had a wadcutter seating stem.

I've been reloading since 1964, and I've never seen a "wadcutter die." however, any seating die will work for wadcutters if it has a wadcutter stem.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Thanks guys. I figured that it almost had to be a stem. I am like y'all .............................. been at it since the early 60's and haven't seen it all yet or ever figure to.

C.R.Sam

Just for grins.....how bout emailing the seller and asking if there is anything special bout them other than the seating plug.

Sam

Quantrill

"wadcutter dies"

Carl,
This might have been listed by a non-reloader who only knew that the die set had been used to reload .38 wadcutters. Possibly a widow or friend. Just a thought. Bill

WIL TERRY

THERE ARE INDEED RCBS 38SPL WADCUTTER DIE SETS.

I HAVE AT LEAST TWO SETS OF THEM, THE LAST SO NEW I'VE NOT SET 'EM UP YET.

THE FIRST HAS AN OVERSIZE CARBIDE SIZER DIE, [ IT'S A 38S+W/38SUPER DIE IN ACTUALITY ] FOR USING ON THOSE THICKSIDED WCC 71 MILITARY CASES OF WHICH I HAVE A VERITABLE SHIQLOAD.

THIS LAST SET IS FOR REGULAR OL' 38SPL BRASS BUT DOES NOT WORK IT IN SIZING SO MUCH AND HAS A SPECIAL EXPANDER JUST FOR WC BULLETS. THE SEATER IS T/C AND HAS A BIGGER OPENING ON THE BOTTOM TO LINE UP WC BULLETS MORE EASILY FOR SEATING WHEN RUNNING A PROGRESSIVE PRESS.

I HAVE ANOTHER SET OF RCBS 38SPL WADCUTTER DIES TOO BUT I'LL BE DANGED IF I CAN REMEMBER A THING ABOUT 'EM AS I WRITE THIS...THEY WERE TO SOLVE SOME PROBLEM I HAD 35 OR 40 YEARS AGO AND DID SO TOO...DAMNED IF I CAN REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS NOW.
AND SO IT GOES...

EDITED FOR BRAINFARTS

dfaugh

Yeah, been buyin and selling on ebay since beginning of time (well, ebay time) some of the descriptions are downright humorous...Obviously not written by knowledgeable people, in many cases...Often by dealers and such that buy "junk" at estate auctions and such, sell it there....Sometimes this means good deals...I bought a computer part from someone that didn't know what it was for $7...(I figured out what it was for before I bought it, by part #)... I then RE-SOLD it on ebay, with proper description for $235 + shipping....Like 3000% profit! Wish I could do that a few times a day...wouldn't need to work so hard!

MADISON

.38 Spl Wadcutter dies by RCBS?

I did not know that RCBS made, what called an "M" die. The "M" die is a flaring die that flares deeper than a standard die, so that IT WILL NOT SHAVE LEAD off lead bullets.
Lyman makes the "M" Die but who else, I don't know.
If you want to find out if RCBS makes an "M" Die the go: www.rcbs.com and ask them if they do.

Last edited:

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Thanks for the good information Terry. I am going to ahve to dig deeper in to the RCBS website to see if I missed something on these dies. Now why I would want some is beyond me :D. I have been using mine for over 37 years now with no problems :D.

Sam, I checked with the seller and he said "all I do is find and sell them". I guess he is one of those brainfarts that TERRY MURBACH had to edit his knowledgeable post for :D.

Again ...... THANKS GUYS

C.R.Sam

Southlan1.....thanks for the update.
At least the seller was straight with you.
I found a lens on eBay once that the seller didn't know what it was, with no bids. Sniped it zero zero and was the only bid. Got it and still don't know what it is. Neat tho.:D

Learned sumpin from Terry on this thread.
And wouldn't have if you hadn't started it.

Sam

Fatelvis

Can you load wadcutters with a conventional seater die? If so, do you have to do something special, to make it seat the bullet flush? I was just wondering, since Ive never loaded wadcutters. Thanx guys-

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
I have loaded them since about 1964 with a convential die, with the SWC seating plug. No problems in almost 40 years.If it ani't broke don't fix it!

coonan357

I've reloaded over 500 Hbwc with the standard rcbs set without a problem , just had to flare the cases a little more than normal, Fatelvis . if you want I could show you some time since where in the same area ..

Fatelvis

Thanks for the offer Coonan, but I just wondered if I needed a different seater plug, or some special technique, since I be trying to load `em in a little while.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
RCBS dies, SWC seater plug, 90%+ HBWCs .... pushin' 40 years/no problems. Case belling with normal expander die ..... ditto, if it ain't broke ....