38 special/special

eldermike

Many years ago I took some 38 special cases and drilled and C-bored the heads to be press fit for a shotgun primer. I could pop them out with an ink pen and press new ones in with my fingers. I then set up a turret lathe to make some nylon hollow base bullets that were a slip fit into a sized case. They came out about .353 and weigh little to nothing.

They would shoot through a carboard box so I made targets by putting a box inside a box giving me 4 layers and that would stop the bullets in the center.

I taught my kids to shoot handguns in the garage with these things. Another added benifit was getting all the lead out of my guns.:eek:

Attachments

• 38realspecial.jpg.jpg
    38realspecial.jpg.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 38realspecial1.jpg.jpg
    38realspecial1.jpg.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 38realspecial2.jpg.jpg
    38realspecial2.jpg.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 65

Lost Sheep

Nifty

You can do the same with wax bullets. Make the bullets by softening the wax and cutting, cookie-cutter style, the bullets out of a shallow pan.

Or, you can get a bullet mold and make cast bullets out of hot glue. With a little lube in the lube grooes, I'll bet they would zip right along.

Lucky you to have a lathe just laying about, wanting something to do.

Lost Sheep.

eldermike

They were a lot of fun. Was cleaning up in my reloading room and found one. Now I just need to find the rest of them.

eldermike

Am I using lead free primers? No, but I shoot cast bullets by the lb and that lead can be difficult to remove.

gwalchmai

Am I using lead free primers? No, but I shoot cast bullets by the lb and that lead can be difficult to remove.
Shooting normal primers in an enclosed space can expose you to a lot of lead styphenate, which is readily absorbed. Not too big a deal for us oldsters but it should be avoided by young people.

You may consider slugging your bore and having your boolits cast to that size to reduce or even prevent leading your barrel.

Good tip about the plastic bullets, btw. ;)

Speer still offers, I think, plastic bullets and cases for practice.

I used to have some in .38 and used to shoot them in my basement when I was a kid.

OkieCruffler

Saw a fella once who loaded primer only loads with those foam ear plugs for his Contender, can't remember if it was a .357 or .44 brass. He would shoot rubber ducks in his pool. I always wanted to try that.

g.willikers

I used to use those plastic cartridges with primers.
But that was before airsoft / pellet guns became so realistic.
Much cleaner and accomplishes the same thing.
Especially now with primers so hard to find and expensive.