38 Special +P with light bullets used in all steel small revolver question ?

WIN1886

I have never used bullets that weigh less than 158 grains in my N frame .357 magnum revolver , I have heard that .357 loads with bullets that weigh 125 or 110 grain can cause noticeable flame cutting on the top strap of revolver ! I've been thinking of getting a small J frame S&W .357 revolver ( all stainless ) and figured I'd try 38 Special +P 125 grain loads in it but not full .357 magnum loads with lighter bullet weights ! Question is do 38 Special +P 125 grain loads still show noticeable flame cutting damage as its big brother or is it mild enough to use extensively ? Thanks !

g.willikers

Revolvers spit hot gases out of the front of the cylinders.
Always have, always will.
Gun makers take that into account in their designs.
Don't sweat the small stuff.

Dave T

Today's 125g +P 38 Specials are so wimpy compared to real 357 Magnums it's almost laughable. And your steel framed gun will handle more of those (the +P 38s) than you can afford to buy.

Dave

WIN1886

Shoot any and all configurations of 38 Special ammo in your N frame 357; it can take it !

Thanks for the replies ! The 38 special +P 125 grain loads would be for a small J frame revolver.....the N frame model 627 gets fed mostly .357 magnum loads of 158 to 180 grain bullet weight . I've heard of flame cutting the top strap and cracked forcing cone problems from using full power .357 magnum ammunition using light bullets but as mentioned the 38 Special + P ammunition is loaded to lower pressures ! I bought my handguns to shoot and I won't worry about the small stuff...next and thanks ! :)

Last edited: