.38 Special: On the job

samsmix

Is anyone still packin' one of these at work? Not as a backup, but for primary carry? If so, what are you feeding it at work?

Currently I'm wearin' a S&W 15-3 skinny bbl, with 125gr gold dots. or 125 gold sabres

NCHornet

I sometimes carry my Model 60 snubby and I use hydrashocks and feel very well protected. The .38 will always be a good SD round, a well placed .38 is better than a miss with a 44 mag, blah, blah, blah!!
Glad I can shoot with both!:D

Doug.38PR

Is this for LEOs or everybody? As a CHL holder I carry a Colt Official Police .38 Spl. as a primary. 4 inch barrel loaded with Remington .38 spl+P 158 gr LSWCHP

Last edited:

sanson

I've got my dad's police service revolver he carried for 40yrs: a 1955 colt police positive .38spl 4"(small wood grips but medium frame?) :) I know there were thousands of these but it's action is silky smooth, light pull DA/SA

cheygriz

When I carried a 4 inch .38 on duty, back in the dark ages,:p we were issued the old FBI or "Metro" load. 158 GR +P LSWCHP. I never heard any complaints from the officers that had to use them on the street.:cool:

jaymag

158gr+p Swhp

I carry a 9mm compact on my side for cold weather days.And I just bought a S&W 638 today for a ankle gun.Man it is a cool peice! Nice and light.Anway's for sort barrels the larger bullets seem to penatrate better for snubs.So what's better then a 158gr.+p.

samsmix

Well, speer put out a load just for snubbies. It is supposed to suffer no velocity loss out of the short tubes. A 135gr gold dot I think.

Laz

The Speer loss does "lose" velocity from a shorter barrel, just like any round. Or one could say it "gains" velocity from a longer barrel since it is designed to work well at the short barrel velocity. It is spec'd at 860 fps from a 1 7/8 inch barrel and in the high 900s from a 4 inch.

Deaf Smith

It will do fine if you are a good shot. I do mean good and fast. I suggest two things.

a) get a second gun pretty much like the carry one and shoot it on the range as much as you possibly can. Go to IDPA matches and use that revolver. Shoot from the leather. Shoot from the hip. Draw and shoot weak handed. Get real good cause you only have six rounds and they are not real powerful.

b) get a backup wheelgun. A J frame Smith will do fine. You need it cause a revolver is SLOW to reload. I don't care if it's speed loaders or ring clips, they are slow when you carry the gun and spare ammo concealed. They are slow in the dark. They are slow when you are moving. Reloading is just slow, period. But a spare gun is alot faster to draw!

I can say this cause while I carry a Glock 26, my second gun is a Smith 340PD. And I shoot expert in IDPA (all categories.) And yes, I do have a second practice gun for my 26 and J frame. I shoot them very often.

jbleinweber

There are times, when I get the itch to go soft-uniform, I'll grab my old Colt Diamondback with the 4" barrel. Makes for a great change of pace and starts quite a few conversations starting with "Whoa, what you got there?"

dao

I did use a .38 sp. xith 3 inches barrel during 5 years when beginnig my career as a cop.
The load : 158gr FMJ standard pressure ...

This load was poor against automobiles ( didn't penetrate windshields or doors ), and poor aigainst men, from my personnal experience.

But with a better load, I thing it would have been a good choice.

samsmix

BigSam

That is a great answer. Actually, while working in Vegas last year, I was shocked to see that about 1/3 of security pros down there still use wheelguns. Most were M-66's, but most were loaded with +P .38's.

FM12

Just pick the right revolver...and practice, i.e., beware of bargains in brain surgery, parachutes and any firearm that you depend on to save your life.

Last edited:

omegapd

Most were M-66's, but most were loaded with +P .38's.

That's how my little Dept. did things under a certain Chief. That was only about 10-12 years ago too. Then we got the current Chief, who loved the 158g Magnum loads and we used them up until about 6 years ago when we were forced to go with Glocks to keep up with all the other LE in the County. :barf:

samsmix

Thank you all. 10 years ago you still saw alot of .38's on duty with police and security gusrds, but from your replies it seem they are now few & far between. On the other hand they seem to be as popular as ever for off duty, CCW, and backup use.

Personally I still feel well armed. I'd feel even better with some of those niffty speedloaders that are spring loaded. These prevent you having to shimmy, shake, do-the-hokey-pokey-and-ya'-turn-yourself-around..., approach to getting you ammo from the speed loader into the chambers.

...That's-how-we-load-our-gun! HEY!