38 Special HydraShock +P+ ???

EchoFiveMike

I was conducting urban operations at a abandoned Army Fort and a live round discovered(by chance) in one of the building that we were conduct ops in. It was not a variety of ammo that we normally use and so it was brought to my attention. It is a Federal Hydra shock design, 38 Special nickel case. Marked FC +P+. I am curious about this as I am not aware that the hydrashock bullet was used in a +P+ load. Anybody got any information on this? This area has probably been used for training by other federal agencies as well(FBI, DEA, Secret Service, Marshalls etc) Any info would be nice to have. Semper Fi....

CAK

It was probably the .38 147gr Hydra-Shok round. I believe that this ammo was marked +p+ to restrict its sales to LE Only. I have seen chronograph reports that show this +p+ round is standard velocity for its weight.

------------------
El Cid '89

singleshot

CAK is right. That is the FBI issue round for .36/.357 revolvers. It is a147 gr.

My understanding is that pressures are slightly above the 18,500 psi limit for .38 +P so the marking is appropriate. Still it's not terribly hot.