38 Sp. pure lead cast bullets?

Longshot4

A good friend of mine wants to load only 38 Special with his own pure lead cast bullets. Is there any one with experience for suggestions on what molds and loads?

mikld

About the only bullets I remember of pure lead are swaged wadcutters (or prolly very close to pure). Being really soft, low velocities are required to eliminate leading...

Pure lead is unusual. Even the swaged ones usually have 2% antimony. He should consider tossing some shot collected from the range in and if he can find a source of tin (50:50 plumbing solder) he'll be able to cast down nearer the temperatures the molds were designed to run at and will get much better mold detail fill out.

The only thing I've ever used pure lead for were slugging bullets and BP ball, which has a wad around it to prevent leading.

Mike / Tx

For what it sounds like he wants to do, the Lee 148gr WC would probably work. Have him try out the 2C standard lube one first. He will also need the push thru sizing kit, and he can do the tumble lube with those as well.

Like mentioned he might want to add in a teaspoon or so of shot to a pound of pure, and a shot of tin for fill out.

gwpercle

You might want to add about 1% of tin to the lead to improve casting- helps with mould fill out. The Lee 148 grain wadcutter mould # 358-148-WC, or Lyman # 358091 will do fine. Size and lube with a good bullet lubricant.

Powders: 2.7 grains Win. 231
2.5 grains Bullseye
2.3 grains 700X
2.2 grains Tightgroup

There are several other powders that can be used but these are the most commonly used. Good luck and load safe,
Gary

Longshot4

Thanks for your input. My friend had purchased some estate equipment and will be trying loading. I will pass on this information to him. I suggested to read the books that came with his equipment and gave him some tips. It will be his first loading of metallic loads.

stubbicatt

I don't know if your buddy is really committed to pure lead slugs, but I have found that the addition of about 5% tin or 20-1 alloy works well for moderate 357 magnum bullets without leading the barrel. Plus the tin really helps the alloy fill the mould out better.