38 snubbie for 10yr girl

AlexGRT

I was interested in getting your opinions on a snub nose 38 for a 10 yr old girl. What would you recomend? I'm not to fond of DAO.

bismark

Why a snubbie? I would get something with A 4 or 6 inch barrel to introduce someone new to shooting. Any Smith K frame, Ruger GP100 or Police Positive would do just fine. If she's your daughter and you really love her, a 6" Python.

C.R.Sam

A lot left out of the original question.
Like how big, how mentaly mature, how experienced, hand size, strength etc. ?????

Fine for some, huge mistake for others.
Could turn her against shooting.

Nice soft loads could be just fine for extended practice and fun....IF it fits well enough.

Safety first.

Keep it enjoyable.....if she wants to do it, she will do it better and longer.

Sam

Mike86

I would have to reccomend not getting it. .22LR or something but not a .38

If you must a I think S&W made a LadySmith or something in .38, that would be better sized for smaller hands.

KEN CHAVEZ

I agree with Sam & Mike

Keep it simple and fun, she is only 10 years young. My daughter will be 11 next month and I am going to start her with a .22lr semi-auto.

Jim March

Odd thought: how about the Taurus 8-shot .22Magnum? Esp. with a 4" barrel in stainless. It's a J-frame-class. Recoil is moderate, but if this is "potentially for defense in a pinch", load CCI MaxiMag +V TNTs and it's not half bad.

chazecon

I happened to take my S&W M60 38 special with a 2 inch barrel to the range along with my Kimber SM 45ACP a couple days ago. I've never shot them both during the same trip before. I started out with the snubbie and was really surprised when I switched to the Kimber. The Smith was noticably louder and the recoil was was much more pronounced than the 45. Until then, I did not realize this to be the case.

I agree that a 22LR (NOT the 22 mag)is much better as a first pistol unless you know for sure she can handle the noise and the recoil. If you go with the 38, I strongly recommend a larger frame with at least a 5 inch barrel.

Hope she develops a lifelong respect and love for firearms and shooting sports. Good luck.

Quartus

So it this just for fun or is this a school gun?

:eek:

Seriously, this sounds like a good way to make a non-shooter out of her. Even with light loads it will be uncomfortable, and she won't be able to hit anything with it, so there won't be any positive reinforcement - the pleasure of doing well. There will be discomfort and frustration.

Go with a .22 LR. If she's new to shooting, start with a rifle, not a handgun.

'Course, you didn't tell us much, so maybe she's been shooting since age 5, already has a couple of 9mms, a .45 Gold Cup, and a .357, and shoots them all quite well.

If THAT's the case, go for the snubbie!

C.R.Sam

We are all guilty of leavin out sumpin very very important.

For health and enjoyability reasons. BEST EAR PROTECTION YOU CAN AFFORD WHILE SHE IS AT THE RANGE.

And GLASSES THAT FIT HER.

That too must be comfortable so she will enjoy and stay with it.

Sam

Eric Larsen

Do yourself and her a favor. Bring both guns with you and start her off with the 22...if she thinks shes ready let her shoot the 38.
You never know...just fill her in on how the guns work, safety and always wear the proper gear...
I taught my ex wifes husband how to shoot...he shot a 22, 38, 380 and 9mm ...he prefers the 22. I taught my 8 year old son how tho shoot..same guns and progression...he likes my K40.
You never know.
Shoot well

22lovr

Always-always begin with the .22 LR

The .22 LR round is a classic starter round to introduce children into the shooting arts. I began with both a .22 rifle and pistol and moved up. The .22 should build confidence in that noise, recoil, and muzzle flash are reduced. They are easier to become proficient at and....and.....AND.....if you buy a really fine .22 revolver, it is something you can pass down through generations of your family as an heirloom. My Winchester model 60 single action .22 has passed, thus far, through four generations of our family, instilling skill, comradarie, tradition, and just plain fun. Go with the .22 FIRST, then graduate to the larger calibers.
Best of luck.

AlexGRT

Well I'll put more info into my querry. She is now 8 years old, tall and strong for her age. I started her out with firearms 2 years ago. I bought her a Marlin 15y youth rifle and a Beretta 21. The reason I choose 38 snubbie is because I am capable of reloading very soft target loads, secondly I want her mother to be able to use it for CCW purposes.

fix

My 11 year old son has been unleashing full power 357 magnum loads out of a 4" L frame since he was 9. Funny looking grip though. I don't see your daughter having a problem with a 38. Personally, I feel it's sometimes better for kids to understand that recoil is a fact of life. He has come to expect it and therefore doesn't flinch. It's just a part of shooting handguns as far as he's concerned. In long guns I started him in a 22, and to some extent, I regret not putting him behind at least a 243 first. Then again, he was only 5 then. :D

Archie

I would think a three inch better than a two.

With a J frame Smith, you can fit grips to her hands. (I presume she has smallish hands.)

Good ear and eye protection. Wadcutters or even triple ought buckshot and small doses of powder.

Make sure she can see the sights.

Zorro

Normal progression is as follows:

BB gun
Pellet Gun
.22 LR
.38 Special
.357 Magnum or .45 ACP
.44 Magnum
Then Pain and wallet are the limit!

.22 LR is probably the best next step.

gorlitsa

Rent a similar gun and put some of your light loads in it. If she likes that, then try something a little hotter. You don't want her first gun to be something she'll never fire because it tears up her hands and she can't hit the air in front of her.

But if she does like it, then a snubbie is probably a good choice. I was once a ten-year-old girl (part of me still is!) and I can understand the choice. They're just so.... cute! :p And, if she can learn to control and aim well with a little snub, moving up shouldn't be too hard.