38 S&w Spl +p

geez768

need help choosing a self defence round for my S&W J frame 442 38 S&W SPL +P. i have tried hydoshoks but have heard very bad things about them. just looking for the best performing round. thanks

CarbineCaleb

.38+P Defense

Well, the old classic is the "FBI Load"... which is a 158gr hollow point semi-wadcutter in soft lead. Remington makes a nice performing edition, I believe.

A newer load that folks seem to like is the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel - which is specifically engineered to still perform well out of a snubby. For what it's worth, I'd prefer the Speer - it doesn't have the long track record, but I know the FBI load has shown some trouble expanding after penetrating denim in testing.

geez768

thanks i know the gold dot does good in the .40 because we carried them on duty for a long time. i was thinking cor-bon also dont know though

CarbineCaleb

Thanks for the link, Doug - I have a lot of respect for Mr. Camp. He seems to try to tell it like it is, and to work hard to try to get it right, not just casually sling the bull like many other gun authors.

BillCA

I've tried the 135gr Speer Gold Dot short barrel (SB) .357 load and found it to be very manageable. The .38 +P "short barrel" version from your 642 should also be pretty manageable.

I'm also fond of the Winchester 130gr SXT .38 +P too for its accuracy.

BikerRN

I shoot Corbon 110 Grain +P's in my 38 SPL "Snubbie".

I find it to be an accurate, dependable and easy shooting load. Granted, it may have more felt recoil than the Gold Dot round though.

I carry a S&W 442 as a BUG.

Biker

Kreyzhorse

I'm currently carrying Speer Lawman +P in I believe 158 gr. FMJ. Actually Speer calls them TMJ (Total Metal Jacket) but thats strickly nomemclature.

I ususally carry 6 rounds of Gold Dots as a back up in a speed strip.

cheygriz

Well, the old classic is the "FBI Load"... which is a 158gr hollow point semi-wadcutter in soft lead. Remington makes a nice performing edition, I believe

Yep!:D The old FBI load (or "metro" load) has been working for decades. and it still works today!:p

I tend to use what has been proven on the street!:)

Capt. Dixie

Just the ticket

Best thing since sliced bread for the snubby is:

Buffalo Bore gas-checked semi-wad cutter hollow-point. Product code is 20A/20. It is supposed to replicate the aforementioned FBI load without any leading in the barrel.

It's the proverbial "bomb". Try it, you'll like it. (Where have I heard that
before?).

Good luck.

Doug.38PR

Capt. Dixie,
I'd love to agree with you on that. The Buffalo Bore 158 gr probably has more penetration as it is the same weight as the Rem. but more velocity. (1000 ft per second out of a 2 inch barrel vs. 890 ft per second out of a 4 inch) but has more velocity (that's why I carry a backup speedloader full), but have you ever seen the expansion/penetration results? I have not.

Apart from that question, the only drawback of Buffalo Bore is that it has a lot sharper recoil than Rem. +P rounds.

skeeter1

My personal choice? Winchester 125gr JHP +P Silvertips. A bit on the expensive side, but that's why I reload for practice.