38 revolver or small auto

ctjoe

I presentl carry a little pocket 32. I also have a Kahr k9, but that a bit heavy ccw. Anyone have any oppinion on an airweight S&W 38 ? What are advantages of auto and revolver? and how is the recoil of a 38. Many thanks from a new shooter.

Alaskanmonte

I prefer to carry a revolver for a small CCW or back-up. I have a lightweight model 37-2 that I carry in hot weather (its hot a lot in florida). I like that it can be fired from inside my cargo shorts pocket if need be. With an auto it is not a good idea because slide movement inside a confined space (like a pocket) could cause a malfunction. Most of the Airweights are around 15 oz. and I have no problem carrying it around all day. If you can test one out at a range you should give them a try, I really like mine.

wnycollector

+1 for the airweight .38. I like the simplicity and reliability of a revolver. Mind you I have two auto's (russian mak and SIG P220) that have NEVER failed to go bang...but with any auto there are more things to possibly go wrong.

Recoil from an airweight .38 is not that bad, but then I'm not to recoil sensitive in the 1st place. I thing percieved recoil is highly variable from person to person.

Tanzer

With an auto it is not a good idea because slide movement inside a confined space (like a pocket) could cause a malfunction.

I am generally a semi-auto guy, but its hard to beat the S&W 642 in .38 Spl.

Two very good points. I'd like to add that a spurless or semi-spurless hammer makes it even more pocket friendly.

chewie

I too will recommend an airweight revolver for all the already stated reasons. My S&W m642 is my daily, on-duty, back-up and usually what I grab when I carry off-duty. The recoil is definitely more noticeable than my previously carried m60-7 but that's to be expected in such a light gun. IMHO, concealed or shrouded hammer is the way to go.

mthalo

Since you say you're a new shooter, here's a couple of things to consider.

1) Small double-action revolvers are probably the most difficult guns to shoot well. especially the light airweight ones. If you go that route, I would recommend you get plenty of practice at realistic self defense ranges - 10-21feet.

2) They do smack the hand pretty hard, and muzzle blast is severe with +P's.
Nothing most shooters can't handle, but it's another reason to recommend
practicing a lot.

That said, I carry a S&W 442, it's hardly noticable on my hip, and five .38s should be sufficient to handle any personal defense situation I would be likely to see.

OldTXCop

I also recommend an airweight 38. It is a big step up from a 32. The ease of carrying it in a pocket are a big plus. It's very hot & humid here in Texas and I normally carry a 642. I can carry it in shorts, jeans and dress attire effortlessly.

As for the recoil and blast, I wouldn't worry too much about extensive practice with +P's. You can pretty much practice with regular powered rounds and just fire a few +P's, to make sure POI is OK with your carry load.

If you are ever in a situation where you have to fire your weapon in SD, believe me, you will not feel the recoil or blast.

GreenFlash107

I agree with everyone here. As someone who carried a full sized 9mm for over 20 years, I bought two airweights this summer and have really enjoyed the much lighter weights in these two small 38's. I bought both a S&W and a Taurus. And you will not mind the recoil at all.

StrikeEagle

I am generally a semi-auto guy, but its hard to beat the S&W 642 in .38 Spl.

I agree with this. 642 is my choice for an 'always' pocket carry piece.

1) Totally snag-free
2) Chambers a serious round (158grn LSWCHP +P is my favorite)
3) Extreme reliability
4) Can be fired through the pocket if things get that desperate (eek, btw)

I've been carrying various pocket guns over 35 years, and the 642 answers all the questions for me. Take a close look and see what you think. :)

Lou22

I mostly carry small semiautos, but occasionally use a Charter 2000 Undercover .38. It weighs only 16oz but it's recoil is mild because of the nice fat spongy rubber grips it came with. A very easy gun to shoot. I'd recommend getting rubber grips for small revolvers though they might add a bit of bulk to your carry.

Lou

BikerRN

I carry an Airweight J-Frame 442 as a BUG in either my pocket or on the ankle every day.

I could carry my Kahr PM9 that way, if I wanted to. I find the J-Frame, while "bulkier" easier to draw from the pocket and if I need to use it, will not go out of battery if I push it in to a portion of my target's anatomy.

As far as recoil, what recoil? I've spent a lot of time at the range getting used to +P ammo in a J-Frame and don't have any "issues" with it. That can take a lot of ammo going downrange for some people. If you shoot a lightweight J-Frame 357 Magnum with full house 357 loads you will learn how little recoil the 38 Special really has.

Biker

I love small revolvers for carry. One advantage to the small revolvers is the ease of the first shot. With a nice revolver that has the SA option you can get off a very accurate and easy first shot. The bad thing about the very small autos is that they tend to be DA only. I love my DAO small autos but I would not want to have to use them at much distance.

Rasputin

Good Link For You Below. 15 Oz. Hard To Beat.

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm

642_L1567.jpg

Last edited:
Good link but I have some problem with "Syd's" opinions. Like there not being a need for SA on a self defense handgun. That shows a real lack of understanding of some scenerios that may present themselves.

If you were pinned down by another person with a firearm or in a situation where you had a secod to fire off a single well place shot where a miss would mean getting shot back at, a sa feature could mean the difference between a hit or a miss and therefore between survival and death.

But I do like the 642 and carry one myself.

SWm642.jpg
[/IMG]

Bill DeShivs

If you become proficient with a D/A revolver, there is no need for S/A.
D/A guns are not inaccurate-shooters are.
There is also no real need for .38 +P stuff, or especially .357 magnum in a 2" revolver. Standard pressure .38 special works just fine.

TxPhantom

442 & 642 same gun, different color.

My wife often carries her S & W, 642 in her purse or a belly band. I often carry my S & W, 442 in warmer weather in a Kangaroo shoulder holster or DeSantis pocket holster. Very good carry guns that are very easy to conceal even with warm weather attire.
In cooler weather I usually carry my MP 9mm compact or my full sized MP 40 caliber in a deSantis Speed scabbard under a coat.
The snubbies are NOT fun range guns since they do have quite a snappy recoil but as a CCW they are great. ;)

Desert01

I have both are Kahr P-9 and a Colt Agent:
Carry.jpg

I could never pocket carry in other then a winter coat. Steel framed autos like your K-9 or Steel revolvers are a little more controlable. Alloy framed revolvers or the new wonder metals can be a hand full. The alloy or poly autos can also be harder to shoot then their steel siblings.

Look at the P-9 such as mine above. Then a steel revolver followed, by an alloy one using the same make. Practice alot with the heavier steel guns and then pratice some more with your light weights.

I find the P-9 easier to shoot for a long range session. They carry about the same.