.38 or .380 FOR CARRY GUN

It was pretty much just a recititation of facts that everyone already knows. I did not see any real conclussions or new information. He just sat down and took info and put in one place. Then basically said "both will work so it comes down to personal preference" which is what most guys on here say all the time.

sasquatch

Well, not to start an argument, but I thought he said:

"With this in mind, and the overall reliability factor favoring the revolver, I think I’ll stick to the snub and 3-inch barreled .38 revolvers for most of my own use. There are occasions when the shape and size of the .380 and its generally better pointing and recoil control factors may lead me to use a .380. But, across the board, the .38 snub is the best choice in this comparison."

PSP

I've carried both a snub nosed .38, 5 shot revolver and a small.380 automatic. The revolver is wider than most .380s and just as heavy as my P232. I'll take thin and three more rounds, thank you. Besides, I never could shoot that revolver worth a hoot. I'll keep the autos, sold all my revolvers.

I carried a Taurus 38 snubby for awhile, it shot great but was noticeable carrying. I discovered the Makarov 9mm. slim and trim and 4 more rounds. I keep a XTP in the chamber and FMJ in clip. I have a BDA but consider it too fine a pistol to carry, I keep it by bed. very good shooting 380.

RsqVet

I think the best argument comes from reliability in the real world. While I have both, the revolver gets more use because I worry much less about the collected grit and grime of carry life affecting it. If I carried the 380 (Sig 232) daily I'd strip and clean it weekly rather than about monthly as I do for larger autos.

Kreyzhorse

For me, it's a .38 J-frame Smith. The gun is lighter and the round is better. However, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. As someone mentioned, the trade off is 8 rounds of .380 or 5 rounds of .38. I'll take 5 but to each his own.

blume357

even though I carry a Sig 380 often... I suspect his

conclusions are obvious and I'd have to agree... that a snub 38 is 'better' for doing the job. I don't know how much better it is to carry, since I never have. Closest I've come is a S&W model 19 with 4" barrel and that's a pretty big load.

gfen

I stopped carrying an automatic in favour of a revolver strictly because I loathed dropping the hammer via decocker onto a live round.

The light weight of an alloy revolver was an unseen advantage over the steel automatic; the shorter sight radius the disadvantage.

cocojo

Nothing in 380 will match the 38 special with Gold Dot 135 +P short barrel, 110 DPX or 158HP Fed Load loads. The 38 is vastly superior. I like the 135+P's.

go_bang

I read that article before. It's a joke, and an old and worn out one at that. There's the standard doom and gloom about the supposed unreliability of the semi-auto. Fear and loathing about bloody carnage induced by slides and hammers. Two issues that are usually avoided or greatly lessened by using quality ammo and holding the gun properly. Oh, and after all this he has nary a thing to say about the Bersa Thunder. Never mind that he uses the name to head up a paragraph with the name. I guess it's there just to suck back in the people that read the first few paragraphs, realised that he nothing meaningful to add to the issue, but scan down through anyway to see if things get better. Regretfully, things don't. Actually, they get more rediculous when in the section titled Maintenance/Durability he has nothing to say about such from a 380 auto, but banters on about how poorly treated .32ACP autos that were in such sad shape that they could not survive a 5000rd torture test. And lastly, if he hasn't managed to con the owner of a 380 into questioning both his weapon and his manhood, along comes the tail of the great Massad Ayoob being unable to humanly dispatch pigs with .380 hollow points.

Yawn. Frankly, I can get entertainment this good and better by hanging out at the local gun shop. Why it might even be more factually accurate too.

Doug.38PR

I think he is right. The .38 Spl. is better than the .380 in nearly every way. It is much more powerful (particularly in +P Buffalo Bore), holds almost as many shots (the Detective Special anyway) and is dependable.

Deaf Smith

How well do you shoot the different guns? Are you good with the revolver shooting fast? Can you reload it fast? Can you shoot it fast one handed?

Now I have lots of wheelguns, and I shoot'em often, but the simi-auto generaly is easier to shoot fast with accuracy.

Now that .380 is less powerful than the .38 Spl, but if you shoot quicker and hit better with the .380, I'd think about that alot.

madmag

In the early days the .380 and .38 special were close in performance. The .38 has been able to advance because of +P ammo. The .380 has a natural limit because it is designed for non-locked breach guns. If you increase power very much then you need a locked breach design...but then you have a 9mm Luger.

easyG

I would go with a DAO snubbie .38 over an auto .380 everytime.

Here's why:

No failure to feed issues.
No failure to eject issues.
No stove-pipe issues.
A DAO revolver can be fired from within your coat pocket if need be.
The .38 is usually more powerful than the .380.
No ejected brass to leave at the scene.

I don't consider the speed to reload to be much of a factor.
After all, who carries extra magazines or extra speed-loaders for thier small hide-out piece?
These are essentially small last ditch hide-out handguns.
They're really intended for point-blank shooting, not long range, long running, shoot and reload, firefights.

Laz

My choice is the .38. Is it the best choice? No matter, it's my choice. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. Everything is a trade-off balanced by personal "affinity". I've had .380s that were wonderfully reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot. I prefer the heavier round, however, and prefer revolvers over semi-autos, generally.