.38 HBWC loaded backwards--do they stabilize?

I frequently see posts recommending this load for defense. It looked like a great idea to me back in the 70's and I loaded a bunch of 148gr Speer HBWC backwards over 3 gr of Bullseye. I was a bit surprised and disheartened to note at the range that most of them went through the target sideways at 5 yards from my Chief's special. Has anyone come up with a bullet/powder/gun combination that will stabilize these loads or do people keep recommending them because they look scary?

jepp2

If you are loading a defense round, I would expect the average distance to the perpetrator is less than 5 yards, and the bullet going through sideways will impart excellent energy. You aren't expecting the same accuracy as normal loading, are you?

papa shooter

sideways

I have never had that happen in my 6" Python or 6" 686. I shoot 3 grains of Bullseye with the 148 HBWC upside down on occasion. Not a full time load (upside down) but I shoot a lot of them loaded flat side out in bullseye matches in a Colt .38 special national match pistol. Those are loaded with 2.7 grains of Bullseye powder.

papa

FrankenMauser

I run the .32s backward, and have never gotten them to reliably stabilize.
I might get a three or four shot group occasionally, but I can't count on it. Usually, it's just a matter of random probability, whether the backward HBWCs will produce a bullet hole, or a key hole.

Last edited:

hornetguy

I've heard about it, but have never tried it.

My thought is to cast a full wadcutter out of almost pure lead, and shoot it at close to 800 fps. It ought to expand.

I might have a few HBWC's laying around... if I can find them, I'll have to give it a whirl..

MADISON

HBWC loaded beacwards?

Back in the 70's I loaded two boxes of HBWC's.
One was the regular way. The other was the backwards way. Both had 2.7 grains of BULLSEYE in them.
REGULAR: One small hole.
BACKWARDS: produced a 3 inch group.

GP100man

If ya put a little push to em they`ll stablize somewhat but as MADISON said they never really flew good for me neater !!

win308

Having a 38 that flys sideways through a perp would be my favorite load. That would do a LOT of damage...... compared to straight on. I used to load 200 gr lead tips to overcome the twist to achieve the same effect. Sounds like you have stumbled onto something there.