.38 Colt revolver ammunition

Hunter Rose

This seems like the place to post this.

A friend of mine has a .38 Colt double action with a box of issued ammunition (ammo is still in plastic wrap, dated May 5 1913).

I'm interested in the pistol, but seems to me the ammo would be better appreciated by a collector. Anybody have any suggestions of where to find such critters, and what might be a reasonable price for the box?

Dfariswheel

Issue .38 ammo from 1913 would probably be the Colt .38 Long.

The ammo and box would have a higher value to a collector.
Sorry, I have no idea of value, but you could auction it on one of the gun auction sites.

Hunter Rose

OK... after a little more research...

the gun's a 1901 Colt (US Army Model 1901). The box is marked ".38 Revolver Ball Cartridges for Colt's double action revolver", manufacturer is Frankford Arsenal.

I checked on the auction sites: not too much there. Figured I'd see of anyone here knew of another venue that might be worthwhile to check out. Closest I could find were some partial boxes that were beat to snot, and some loose rounds for $4 a pop. This is a factory sealed complete box...

bop

.38 long

Hey there, Hunter Rose.....may I suggest you connect with some of the reloaders in your area? I have no idea where your located but you may hit some of the gun shops that sell powder,etc. I load for .32 & .38 S&W short as well as .32 long in both black & smokeless for my own toys. Maybe you could hit on a supplier that way. Sounds like a nice revolver. Good luck!

Last edited:

Hunter Rose

Not looking for a supplier: I can reload for this myself. But I have this pristine box of original ammo, marked 1913. I figure there has GOT to be a collector out there that might be interested...

gyvel

Put it on Gunbroker and let the marketplace decide. As always, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it.