38 ammo ????

mnhntr

For store bought ammo, its hard too beat the Speer 135gr gold dot. Also the offerings from buffalo bore and double tap are excellent too. I prefer my homeloads.

gb_in_ga

It depends on the barrel length.

I happen to like 125 gr +P Gold Dots, but those might not be the best choice for snubbies. Speer has a 135 gr Gold Dot that is especially designed for snubs. Remington 158 gr +P LSWC-HPs are old school, and work well in snubbies or standard length barrels.

But that only skims the surface. There's lots of options, many more than can be conveniently listed.

indiandave

It really depends on the gun you have. 2" barrel or 4" barrel? Iron sights or adjustable? If you could I would suggest trying different loads until you find one that you like. You want your gun to shoot to point of aim.

For what it's worth I like Buffalo Bore std. pressure 158gr lswhp's.

They say we can shoot the +p rounds. It is a S & W 637. This is the 1st time for me. I have had a 9mm for years and a small 22 mag to play with. But in all my out and abouts I was looks for something that was not as big as the 9mm. When it comes to shot guns I can play but the hang world I get lost. LOL

RamSlammer

The Model 637 is a 15 ounce gun that requires some practice and familiarization to shoot well. In addition to a good self-defense load it would be a great idea to find a quantity of less expensive target type ammo and get in as much practice as possible.

For SD ammo, I really like the Speer 135 Grain +P Short Barrel Gold Dot Hollow Point. The bullet has a large hollowpoint that is designed specifically to expand well at the lower velocities produced by snub nosed revolvers such as your 637. It's expensive . . . over $1 a round but worth it.

Here's a link to where you can buy some that actually has it in stock (as of when I'm writing this). . . http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=CC23921&src=tpCtgAm

Also, for practice ammo, most indoor ranges have affordable, reloaded lead bullet .38 Special ammo available.

drrpg01

38+p short barrel 135 gr Speer Gold Dot

I would suggest the 38+p short barrel 135 gr hollow point from Speer Gold Dot also. I have used it, and it is EXTREMELY accurate. Recoil might be a bit stout out of an airframe model - I shoot out of a stainless steel Ruger sp101, so not sure about that. Another load I have liked in 38+p is the Winchester 130 gr supreme elite hollow point - also very accurate but shoots a little low in my gun - might be better on recoil though.

Keltyke

Hornady Critical Defense +p has excellent ballistics figures.
1090 fps with a 110 gr. JHP

Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel +p is right behind it with
870 fps with 135 gr. JHP

wnycollector

Check out the Remington +P 158gr LHP. This is the classic FBI load. The very soft lead expands consistently at the velocities generated by snub .38's.

Jkwas

I like the Remington 125gn +p semi-jacketed hollow point. Same lead as the FBI load and it does have the benefit of the scalloped jacket. Also can be had cheap at Walmart :)

JAREDSHS

Remington 38+P -158 gr.SWCLHP, itm number R38S12. It is loaded close to
the old "FBI" or "CHICAGO" loading. Shoots good in an Airweight, hits hard,
and the recoil isn't bad. The lead is soft enough that the slug will mushroom
pretty good even though the velocity is way below 900' per second. The main
negatives are it is getting pretty expensive, and hard to find.

joegator

I agree with Doc540. The 135 Gold Dot and the DPX are both excellent rounds especially with a snub. I load my 642 with DPX.

jaydubya

My 637 is loaded with the Remington +p 158gr SWCHP -- the FBI load. From a snubby, the Remington's soft lead bullet is more likely to expand than the Federal or Winchester versions. But the Speer 135gr Gold Dot gets a lot of praise too. (Full disclosure: I have Speer 124gr Gold Dots in my Browning High Power.)

Cordially, Jack

mikld

Glaser Safety Slugs. No over penetration (you won't kill your neighbor shooting at an intruder in your home).