.38/.357 dies

rickdavis81

Can I use .357 dies to also load my .38's? I've seen dies advertised as .357, .38 and as .38/.357. I'll be using lee carbide dies.
Thanks

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, they are interchangeable. You will have to adjust them when switching from .357 to .38 and back again.

David Wile

Hey Rick,

While I have never used Lee dies, I can speak from experience with Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, and a couple of others.

With a carbide die set, the case sizing die should be adjusted to the same setting for both 38 Special as well as .357 Mag. One set properly to full length resize either case, the locking ring should be locked in and be set forever.

The deprimer punch should also be adjusted the same for either 38 Special or .357 Mag. However, the deprimer punch may be part of the sizing die or the case mouth expansion die, depending on different die brands and when they were made. If it is part of the sizing die, there is no problem and it should stay set the same for both 38 Special and .357 Mag. If it is part of the expansion die, it will probably have to be reset each time you change from one cartridge to the other.

The expansion die will have to be adjusted because of the difference in case length between the two cartridges, and the seating die will also have to be changed for the same reason. In fact, you will most likely have to change the seating die any time you change the bullet for either cartridge.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

saands

Actually, you CAN use Lee .38 Spec dies for .357Mag, but you CAN'T use Lee .357Mag dies for .38's without doing something about the seating die. The problem is that the .357Mag dies are also the .357 Maximum dies and the seating die bottoms out before you get to the right setting to seat .38 rounds. There are a LOT of ways around this (especially if you have other caliber dies at hand (9mm or 9x18 or 380 or 40S&W would all probably work for the seating operation as long as you are using a separate die to crimp with). Alternatively, you can probably add a little spacer in the 357 die to make the seating plug sit a little lower. The .357Mag was the very first caliber I loaded for many moons ago and the guy at the reloading shop failed to tell me this detail when he sold me the .357Mag dies he had on his shelf ... I'm sure he knew, but he probably didn't have any .38 dies in stock.

Hope this helps,

Saands