375 Winchester/ 45 win mag

RandyV

What are your opionions on a 5 shot revolver in 375 winchester for bear back up in Alaska. This will be carried during fishing and archery hunting. Loading 230 grain hawk bullets at 1850 ft per second and have 5 shots. Or wouls you rather have 7 shots out of a 45 win mag LAR grizzly. Appricate any thoughts. Thanks

Doc Hudson

I'd prefer a sixgun that I can be sure of making fairly fast repeat shots without the need of removing the front sight from my forehead before making the second shot.

Any revolver stout enought to handle the .375 Winchester will be just about as light and easy to carry as a boat anchor. Not for me thank you. And I would not trust a semi-automatic as a woods bumming, bear defender, regardless of the chambering.

My choice would be one of three, a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 RemMag, a Ruger Blackhawk .45 LC (with heavy loads), or a .454 Casull Freedom Arms if I could afford it Ruger Super Redhawk otherwise. The .44 Mag and the .45 LC would rank far ahead of the .454 because I am more accustomed to them and can control them better in rapid fire.

Larger might be better, but not if recoil prevents any necessary follow up shots.

Doc Hudson

Alaska Roy

Hello Again Randy-

I thought you'd sold that .375? I've seen quite a few LARs in Alaska, mostly in the .45WM and know an outfitter that's capped several inland grizzlys with his LAR .45WM, as Doc Hudson said they're both on the large side but you're the one carrying it. The LAR can carry 7+1 and reloaded a lot faster than the old single actions. Since LAR discontinued the handgun lines the existing LARs are getting pricey, have you found one F/S? Roy

RandyV

Yes Roy have found a couple, missed a44 for $650.00 just my luck. Ones i have found range from $800.00-$1000.00.

Havent sold 375 yet.Not a popular caliber. May end up keeping it. I would feel comfortable ( maybe not confident ), but it is accurate and pleasant to shoot. I can hit what i am aiming at. You are correct i could rechamber to 375 JDJ. I have even thought of a 450 marlin rechamber job.

Have been thinking of a Glock 20 with high capacity mags.

Alaska Roy

Glock 10mms-

Too weird Randy, I was having my dealer search out a 10mm as I read that some police tradins were rebuilt and are on the market with two hi-caps!. He's still looking but did bring in some of the Glock .45s with hicaps..Roy

Glamdring

Is the 375 revolver a custom gun? How thick of a jacket does the specific Hawk bullet you plan to use have? I think heavy loads in a 44 mag or 45 LC with LBT type bullet would give deeper penetration and create bigger wound.

I have shot the LAR, in 45 WM, and it wouldn't even make my list for backup handguns for dangerous game.

I think a N frame in 44 mag or a Ruger Redhawk in 44 or 45 or a Ruger SA [Bisley, Super Blackhawk] in 44 or 45 would be more than enough if loaded with Federal's Castcore [300 grain LBT bullet @ 1250] or Garret's 310 Hammerhead http://www.garrettcartridges.com/ for the 44's;
or in 45 LC with Buffalo Bore's 325 LBT @ 1325 fps
http://www.buffalobore.com/

If I was carrying a medium or bigger rifle I would be happy with my 4" 629 loaded with Castcore's on my belt, if I was just carrying a handgun while hiking or fishing I might go to a ruger Redhawk with Garret's load or to a Ruger Bisley in 45 LC with the 325 LBT bullet. If you stick to the Redhawk or N frame you can use speedloaders for reloading. Not that I think one will need to make speedloads for this, but I prefer to carry at least two spare loads in speedloaders or mag's so I can reload without having to fumble with single cartridges. And with the 44 one can always have a speedloader loaded with specials for potting some small game.