.375 Ruger

Waterengineer

I have been reading about the .375 Ruger. Of course it is in direct competition with the .375 H&H. IIRC the recoil is in the range of 48 foot-lbs. That will get your attention.

Is this cartridge going to make it? Is there really enough market for dangerous game guns that this will make it? Ruger is making an all-weather "Alaskan" model. Will this be interesting to the grizzly/coastal bear traveler, in AK?

kraigwy

I'm 375H&H guy, having said that From what I understand the 375Ruger is pretty good, my understanding it can take an action thats a bit shorter then the H&H.

I have a friend that has both, He lives and hunts in AK, he used his ruger more but wont give up his H&H. (I built the H&H for him many years ago on his 8 mm Rem Action).

I think the market is here for both, though a bit heavy many people use the 375s. They are accurate and the recoil isnt that bad.

Some people have them just BECAUSE, I have a416 rigby, 458 Win, and 375H&H JUST BECAUSE. I do carry my 375 H&H elk hunting when I take my grandkids. They use lighter rifles and I carry the heavy one to back them up in case the muff a shot.

Yeah I think both will be around for quite a while. Even in this courtny where they arnt really needed.

NEED has never been on the top of my list of reasons for buying guns, Just BECAUSE is why I buy guns.

taylorce1

Yes, I believe it is going to make it. I built one on a Win M70 action that was origianlly a 7mm Rem Mag. I've shot the .375 H&H (buddies) as well and wanted one but this was a far cheaper conversion than opening up my action to handle the H&H cartridge. No work was needed to the feed rails or bolt face, the cartridge fit the magazine perfectly, and it only cost around $500 to swap barrels so it was cheaper than the new Ruger Hawkeye or Alaskan. I went with a 24" barrel vs the 20 or 23" that Ruger uses.

Shooting from the bench really is brutal after a few rounds!:eek: However shooting off hand or field positions really isn't that bad. I still need to switch out recoil pads, and trim up my forearm on the stock (wide oval), and refinish it with checkering and oil finish but I do enjoy shooting it as is right now.

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture004-3.jpg

Picture005-2.jpg

GONIF

I never shot a 375 Ruger,but I own a 375 RUM and a 375 H&H ,and there is a substansial differance in recoil . I rarely shoot the Remington 700 BDL embelished in 375 Rum ,it is a safe Queen . the old Winchester modle 70 I have gets shot much more . :eek:

taylorce1

Recoil between the H&H and the Ruger are real similar. Nothing like the RUM which even with a break is a beast to shoot.