.370 Sako Magnum

taylorce1

Read the article on this new cartridge in G&A and I'm a little excited to see what Federal can do with this cartridge. Federal's load pushes a 286 grain bullet at 2550 fps with over 4100 ft-lbs of energy. So it delivers a slightly faster and harder hitting bullet than a .375 H&H with a 300 grain bullet when compared to other Federal factory loads. This is all done with proprietary powders and you can't get back there with commonly available powders they say. However I have a feeling that the hand loaders out there will find something that gets very close.

The cool thing is this case is slightly longer than the normal .30-06 case and you can fit it in a standard long action plus you can get 4 cartridges in the magazine instead of three. The case length is 5.582" vs the 06 case length of 2.494" a difference of .088". I can't wait to see what other calibers they offer based off of this lengthened cartridge.

I imagine wildcatters are going to have a blast with this new cartridge. I'd love to see something in a .308, .338, or .358 caliber. I figure this is Federals answer to the .375 Ruger, which I have and really like but can only get three cartridges in my action.

Japle

I read the same article. I'm trying to figure out what possible advantage that new cartridge has over the 50+ year old .358 Norma Mag.

I easily get 2775 fps with a 250 gr bullet and just under 2600 with a 310 gr Woodleigh solid. It works just fine in a 30/06 length action, too.

Enfield.jpg

BTW, the gun now has a 2-7 Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater scope.

taylorce1

I read the same article. I'm trying to figure out what possible advantage that new cartridge has over the 50+ year old .358 Norma Mag.

From what I can tell, no belt on the cartridge, doesn't need a magnum bolt face, no feed rail work, holds more rounds in the magazine (4-5 vs 3), burns less powder, and is legal for dangerous game in some countries. I'm not knocking the proven track record of the .358 Norma, but it isn't legal for dangerous game due only to bore diameter. I'm sure it would handle any of the big 5 just as easily as the .370 Sako or .375 H&H.

Was this new cartridge needed? Probably not, but I'm more interested in when we might be seeing some of the new powders being developed on the shelves. If we can get our hands on these new powders how much better will that make what we already own? That is why I'm excited to see a new cartridge come out.

Very nice rifle BTW, my 1917 Enfield is in .300 H&H!

levrluvr

I looked at that cartridge and read the article as well. It seems that it is patterned closely to the 9.3x62, which has been gaining a great deal of popularity. There is brass available, a great selection of bullets, and dies from all the major mfg's. Since its been around for 100 years, and is available from several great rifle mfg's (including Tikka), I'm still leaning toward the 9.3

Japle

Taylorce1, you make a good point about the legality for dangerous game in some countries. But my Enfield holds 4 rounds in the mag and the other points only mean anything if you're doing a conversion.

Hey, I have nothing against the new cartridge. Just because it's not really needed isn't important if enough people find they can't live without one.

If I win the Lotto, I'll be buying a .416 and/or a .458. Don't need either one.

taylorce1

Taylorce1, you make a good point about the legality for dangerous game in some countries. But my Enfield holds 4 rounds in the mag and the other points only mean anything if you're doing a conversion.

Japle, I figured your Enfield might hold an extra round. Those rifles all started life with a larger magazine box anyway. However new production rifles rarely have the magazine as a converted 1914 or 1917 Enfield. I'd hate to think how many rounds you could put in there if you still had the perch belly on it.

Plus don't forget that you or someone else had to do some serious conversion to get your rifle in the state it is in today.