360 BH vs 375 Win

Pumpkin

So, for the states that require straight wall cartridges it amazes me that the new 360 Buck Hammer catches so much attention while 375 Win fades away :confused:
Single shots and lever guns are perfect for this round.

taylorce1

Pumpkin said:
amazes me that the new 360 Buck Hammer catches so much attention while 375 Win fades away

The Buck Hammer is too new, it's hard to say if it's going to catch on. Being a rimmed cartridge it will have a tough time gaining widespread acceptance. More people want an AR-15 capable cartridge than a lever action or single shot one. Only the market will tell us if it catches on or not.

44 AMP

Staff
Take a look at those strait wall case states. Several, if not all have case length limits and I believe that the limit is 1.8" case length.

So, while you are right lever guns and single shots are great for the .375 Win, its case is too long (2.020") for states that limit rounds to 1.8" case length. The Buckhammer case is 1.8".

Even very popular cartridges tend to fade in popularity in places where they aren't legal to hunt with.

jmr40

The 375 Winchester doesn't have a straight case. It has a slight taper. Not that that should matter, and it may not be a factor.

My brother had one for a while. The round never quite lived up to expectations.

44 AMP

Staff
The round never quite lived up to expectations.

If you have unrealistic expectations, few things will. :D

As to "straight cases" lots of rifle rounds and some pistol rounds generally considered "straight" have some taper. What matters for hunting is what the state Fish & Game depts rule is, and isn't straight.

Even if ruled a "straight case" the .375 Win is too long for states with a 1.8" case limit.

Pumpkin

I failed to make sure it’s case length was within existing limits. I learned something today, not always an easy thing for that space between my ears ;-)
I still want one in a Contender though :)

44 AMP

Staff
Remember that the straight case and case length limits only apply to hunting in SOME states.

I don't think Texas is one of them.

Pumpkin

Thank the good Lord we don’t have many rules here. If I remember correctly as long as it’s a center fire it’s okay for deer. I would like a special handgun season ;-)

Drm50

I’m Ohio deer hunter and decided on the 375Win. I started with a Marlin but action and tube magazine limited me to bullet and OAL. So I traded up a #3
Ruger and was experimenting loading hot with several powders. With straight case I had been running 200gr Sierra bullets. Then switched to 235gr Speer Semi Spitzers. I lost velocity but gained in accuracy department. Right now still running
IMR-3031.

ligonierbill

Ohio does not have a case length restriction. Simpler than other places, but still makes no sense. And only in deer season. I can hunt groundhogs and coyotes with my 220 Swift.

Pumpkin

Ohio does not have a case length restriction. Simpler than other places, but still makes no sense. And only in deer season. I can hunt groundhogs and coyotes with my 220 Swift.
Just goes to show as with other gun rules, the people writing them have very limited knowledge of the subject at hand.

44 AMP

Staff
Just goes to show as with other gun rules, the people writing them have very limited knowledge of the subject at hand.

While this is often the case, its actually less so with game rule equipment, though a lot of "stupid stuff" does seem to happen,

Sure, you can hunt groundhogs and coyotes with your .220 Swift, but are prohibited from using it for deer in some states. Why you ask?

Because the game laws there prohibit it. Why?? because of what the majority of people do, and have done, and what is considered to be in the best interest of game management.

Do some of the regs discourage people from hunting? Yep. Is that the intent?? Sometimes. Is it irritating? Yep.

Sometimes the reasons for the regs are not obvious, or understood by people outside the conservation field.

This makes them seem "stupid", but there nearly always are valid concerns the regs are written to address. (note "nearly always" is not "always" :rolleyes:)

I know some place that doesn't allow any rifles for deer. They have valid reasons, (which I happen to disagree with) but they are legitimate concerns, because while "we" are always safe, good shots, and good sportsmen,:rolleyes: not everyone is. And some hunting rules are made to deal with that, too.

Pumpkin

In this particular case it seems contradictory that game rifle calibers are restricted due to range/distance danger but a 220 Swift is legal for varmint hunting. Depending on the gun and load, it could be quite dangerous at longer distances where humans are concerned. The blanket statement I made, like most blanket statements does have some holes in it though ;-)

oldbear1950

I think some of the pistol carbines, 357 man, 44 mag, and 45 colt/454 would fill that bill, straight wall cases, and enough power to do the job on deer hunting.
I have a ROSSI, 38/357 MAG with 16 inch barrel is a hoot to carry, and with good 357 mags would do the job very well. I can shoot a carbine a lot easier and more accurate than a pistol.