.358 Cal. Hornady 158 gr XTP vs. XTP/FP

rodfac

While I've used Hornady's excellent .358 cal. 158 gr XTP bullet for may years in both a .357 Marlin 1894 CS carbine, as well as a pair of S&W M19's and a Ruger .357 BH Anniversary Model, I'm wondering what the difference is between the XTP and their XTP/FP.

I get equal accuracy with both from the Marlin on the order of 1-1/2" gps. at 100 yds from bench with a 2.5x scope mounted. Just wondering if the FP was designed for rifle vs. handgun use with regards to jacket thickness etc., and any differences in expansion/penetration at rifle speeds. I chrono'd my Marlin at 1667 fps for 5-shots recently using Winchester 296 and Magnum Federal primers. That's the speed range I'm talking about for use on KY deer.

Best Regards, and Happy Thanksgiving to all...we've got a lot to be thankful for this November!! Rod

Salmoneye

According to Hornady...

The 158gr XTP-HP has a velocity rating of between 700-1,400 FPS, where the 158gr XTP-FP is rated to open reliably from 1,200 to 1,800 FPS...

buck460XVR

The 158gr XTP-HP has a velocity rating of between 700-1,400 FPS, where the 158gr XTP-FP is rated to open reliably from 1,200 to 1,800 FPS...

^^^This. While a shot behind the shoulder thru just ribs to the boiler room on average size deer would not be an issue, with a carbine shooting 1700 fps and shooting dead center on the shoulder like many of us do with a rifle, I prefer the JFP.

JMTCs.

NoSecondBest

I've shot just over fifty deer with the 357mag, and most were shot with Horndady XTP bullets. I have found that in both my handguns and rifles that the JHP rarely exits the animal. The FP will exit depending on the distance shot at. If you're looking for two holes it's the one to use. FWIW, I've only ever lost one deer with the handgun and that was with a 44mag.......I simply made a bad shot. Either XTP bullet will get the job done. I've never found any difference in recovering animals I've shot.

rodfac

Thanks, No2nd and Deja...good info there...I like through and through penetration...leaves a double blood trail if the shot isn't perfect. I've hunted white tail and mule deer for over 50 yrs now and lost two. Both looked like good shots, well delivered, was able to trail both for nearly 1/2 mile, but eventually the blood trail petered out; so I'm a believer in Ruark's old adage, "use enough gun"...and leave a big blood trail. Rod