357Sig barrell for a Glock 23

Cavè Canem

I just recently purchased a Olympic Arms 357sig barrel for my G23.

When I got home I put it in, loaded up a G23 mag with 357sig ammo and tried to run the mag through by manually cycling the action. The first 3 to 4 rounds would jam and keep the slide back, after that it would work fine. It appeared that the bullet was catching on the feed ramp. When I did this with my .40 barrel and ammo I had no problems at all.

Anyone have these problems and if so does anyone have an remedies to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Zak Smith

Not the answer you wanted, but a factory Glock 32 barrel will drop right in to your Glock 23. You can buy them from places like http://www.glockmeister.com for about $140.

Dropping in this barrel will make your 23 identical to a model 32, with the exception of the printing on the slide. This way, you are assured "factory Glock reliability."

I did the reverse on my Glock model 32 - bought the factory model 23 barrel for $120.

-z

Stopdropnroll

A couple of thoughts...

Fisrt and foremost....you did not mention the generation frame of your Glock, Be aware that if you Glock is not 3rd generation, that is, has Thumbrests, finger grooves and tactical rails, STOP! Glock specifically beefed up the frames of the newer generation guns to handle the more powerful cartridge....The older, non-railed, .40 guns are not designed to take the .357 sig.

that being said and out of the way....(and assuming you have a newer gun)

Remedy?....you dont even know if the barrel needs fix'n. :confused:

Manual cycling of the slide proves nothing...when the gun fires the slide moves at speeds and force much greater than you can cycle with your hand....What may not cycle by hand may very well cycle under fire. The reverse is also true....what might chamber by hand may not cycle during firing........

If you would like to know if it will work.....Go out and fire the pistol.......all you have succeeded in doing so far is pushing your bullet further into your casing by repeatedly ramming it into the ramp. (setting yourself up for a more probelms)

hope this helps,
SDnR ;)

Cavè Canem

Well seeing as how I only ran the clip through twice I doubt that I harmed the ammo but you never know.

It is a 3rd generation G23 with the finger grooves, thumb rest and tac rail. I am going shooting tomorrow but I wanted to know if anyone had experienced this problem and if it was something to worry about.

Thanks for your inputs.

I looked at glockmeister.com but they are back ordered for 3 to 6 weeks.

The Glock armorer at the gun shop I bought it from perfers Glock parts but says the OA barrel is just as good.

Shoney

I'm not sure if this is the problem in your Glock, but it is in others weapons.

The follower in the magazine of a 40S&W is slightly different from the follower in 357Sig in some make and model weapons.

Before you get to involved, get a Glock magazine specifically made for 357Sig and compare it with your 40 magazine.

Hope this helps, Shoney

Zak Smith

A couple of notes, from experience...

1. Do check you have the proper generation Glock frame.

2. As Stopdropnroll, alluded: Every time you chamber a round, it contributes to bullet set-back!. 357SIG is particularly vulnerable to bullet setback - much more than 9x19 or .40SW because they have straight-walled cases and 357SIG is necked. Bullet setback causes overpressure and can cause a kaBoom!. There have been documented cases of this happening with 357SIG. In short: Do not cycle 357SIG rounds through the action if you can help it, and visually check the ammuntion and toss out any rounds which are shorter than normal!.

3. As for magazine compabilibitity, I have tried the following, and all work:

a. shooting 357SIG from a factory 10-round Glock 32 mag (duh!)
b. shooting .40SW from a factory 10-round Glock 32 mag (only holds 9)
c. shooting 357SIG from a factory pre-ban Glock 23 mag, both the old-style (NDF) and the newer drop-free styles.

-z

Cavè Canem

After doing some more research, I think I may just take the barrel back and spend my money on something else.

At the time I figured it would be cheaper then buying a new gun but I have read so many 'bad' things about the 357sig that I am thinking of saving some money and just taking it back.

Thanks for all the help and info.

greyeyezz

I always tell people never compromise a quality firearm with cheap parts or unnecessary alterations, you'll be sorry.