.357MAG PUMP RIFLE

KML

There use to be a .357 pump rifle,i think it was called the timberwolf(sp?)or something like that.I think it was made by IMI.Is this still being made or is there another company making a pump .357?

KEVIN

You're right that the pump action .357 Timberwolf was imported by IMI. Don't know whether it still is or not though. Members?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

aztec777

KML-You are correct on the name. IMI and Springfield imported this rifle in 357 and 44 mag. Two finishes included blued and nickeled. I have 3 of these rifles. Two in 357 and 1 in 44. These were banned in '94 because the buttstock can be removed and blah, blah, blah....

Beautifull rifles. Highly accurate, very well built, and you can even mount a scope with the milled in weaver type mounts. They can still be found. In fact, I just saw one in 44 mag. The ad reads as follows:

TIMBER WOLF
Pump 44mag, as new, $395. Call Dick or Craig at 207-968-2138.

KML, That's a darn good deal as the 44 mag didn't come into this country in great quantity.

As for any other pump 357's, I think that maybe Marlin has one. Not sure, though.

Steve

CAK

Aztec-
What is the barrel length of the Timberwolf?
How reliable is it with jacketed hollowpoints? Where can I found out more about this rifle?

------------------
El Cid '89

mcshot

I owned a .357 Timberwolf and loved it. Used it for snowshoe rabbits and general plinking. It was very reliable and accurate. I traded it off and am still myself.
May still have the manual and an article on them.

------------------

aztec777

CAK-The barrel length is 18.5". The tube mag holds 10 rounds, weighs about 5.5 lbs., and was imported from '89-'93. I have never had a problem with feeding or extraction with any kind of 357 or 38 loads. My rifles especially like the heavy 200 and 220 grain loadings. Try this link for a view of what it looks like:
http://www.securityarms.com/galleryfiles/295.htm

I still see these rifles for sale. In fact, I just saw one on Guns America here:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/22428756.htm?model=Timberwolf

Hopes this helps. Not much out there for the Timberwolf.

Steve

CAK

Aztec, thanks for the info. Do you know if spare parts are still available for the Timberwolf? I think this rifle has great potential as a patrol rifle due to its commonality with the pump shotgun. I would probably have the gun fitted with a ghost ring sight. Do you know if anyone makes a polymer stock that will fit the Timberwolf?

------------------
El Cid '89

aztec777

CAK-I was lucky and found a TW that had a bent barrel, but the rest was mint. That's my parts gun. I would suggest picking one of these rifles up. I think that the sights are very nice and wouldn't even consider ghost rings. As for the stock, I believe that this would have to be a custom job that would cost an enormous amount of money. BTW, I didn't touch too much on the accuracy of these rifles. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I fired one. I placed 10 rounds of 158gr. reloads in a 2" circle at 50 yards. I can still do that today. With handloads or CorBon's loads my rifles will do better. It can probably do better if I shot it from a bench, but they are just too fun to just sit there with them.

Steve

[This message has been edited by aztec777 (edited January 13, 2000).]