357??

EMS dude

I'm considering the purchase of a new 357. I cant decide which to purchase. It must have a barrel of 4"

What do ya'll think I should get? Cannot be too expensive.

ATTICUS

Gotta be new and inexpensive? You would have to explain what inexpensive means to you....but my first thought would be a Ruger GP100.

KEN CHAVEZ

For $400.oo buy the Ruger GP-100 or for about, $430.oo(give or take) you can get a S&W, seven-round, 686Plus. With either gun you can't go wrong.

caz223

The only new gun in your price range I would recommend is a gp-100.
It sounds like an easy decision.
A used smith 6 shooter would be better, but the ruger is more durable.

kpw

If it's new for under $400, my choices are the GP100 with a Taurus Tracker a close second. I wish they would make a GP100 in .41

IanS

I concur with everyone.

If you want quality and at a moderate price the Ruger GP-100 models is pretty much the only choice. But its a .357 revolver everyone should consider no matter their budget.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Less expensive = Ruger GP 100 series.

More expensive = Smith & Wesson 686 and 686+

Most Expensive = Colt Python

"Best Buy" = Ruger KGP-141

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

rick_reno

357?

Look around for an old Ruger Security Six. I took one out this week I'd bought in the early 80's and never shot, and with some cheap .357 ammo marked "Police Ammunition" we were shooting (and hitting) a 12 inch gong at 200 yds. Didn't hit it every time, but if it'd been a deer it would have been down. Easy gun to shoot. They appear to sell for $200-$250 these days.

foghornl

Hmmmm

New .357Mag ... 4" barrel ... moderately priced ... Practically indestructible with any sane load?

Ruger GP-100 series

mdlowry

If it's for the range, fun or hunting Ruger's single action Blackhawk may be another option. Come with a 4 5/8" bbl I belive.

chaim

Around here a new S&W 686 or 686+ goes for over $500. Used you can get them for $400-450. Depending upon prices in your area a used one should be in your range, or for a little extra (again depending upon how prices are around you) you may be able to get one new. I don't own one but the reputation is stellar.

I recently bought a used, but supposedly great condition (I don't yet have it- darned MD one a month law), S&W 586 for just about your limit including shipping and FFL transfer fees ($345 for the gun, $15 shipping, and $40 FFL transfer= $400, many areas you can easily pay less on the transfer). These are supposed to be great guns (the same as the 686 but blued instead of stainless).

Another Ruger GP100 would be around your budget. Here a local dealer has one blued 6" model for $404, the rest go for about $420-450. Again, this is a rather expensive area (usually) for guns so you can probably do a bit better. Since you say you already have a GP100 I don't know if you'd be willing to consider another (if yours is blue would stainless be different enough and vice versa, or would a different sized barrel be different enough...).

A Taurus 65, 66 or Tracker would be right on (or below) your budget. Taurus STEEL framed revolvers are great guns. Mechanically my little 605 is perfect, my 82 that I had was great.

For something a little different a Colt Trooper seems to go around that price range. They seem to have good reputations too. May be a bit hard to find though. So long as you stay with sellers with good feedback would you be willing to buy online?