.357 Stainless under 40oz

T-Ray

I'm lookin for a revolver. Want it in .357mag so i can start with .38spl and move to .357. I really want it less than 40oz in weight. .38spl would be ok too, if i can't get one in 357. Minimum barrel length 4". Not sure exactly what size frame i want, will go to bass pro this week and find out what fits me, and possibly answer my own question there. I know s&w has some that fit the bill in j frame, but don't know if they're too small. It'll be for general plinking and possibly rabbits and as a sidearm for deer, hog, dove... Like i said, i'm goin to bass pro this week and will also determine exactly what weight i can handle. Does anyone besides s&w have a 357 less than 40oz with a 4" barrel or bigger?

Preferrably stainless w/ rubber grip

Price range would be hopefully under 600 closer to 500 but can go a little over if need be. hopefully i can find one that fits me good then order off internet for a better price.

I think that about covers it, i'll edit if i remeber somethin important i forgot.

Well, i forgot: it will not be used for cc.

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

If this won't be used for CCW and you want at least a 4" barrel, take a look at a used Smith & Wesson 686. According to the Smith site, they weight 40oz empty. Ruger's GP 100 is also a good choice and a new one should fall close to your price range. It weights 40oz empty too.

Not sure that you'll find a gun as good as either of those two that comes in under 40oz. When I hunt, I carry a 6" .357 on my side and from a weight stand point, it certainly isn't too heavy too carry.

As a side note, Ruger as makes a SP with 3 1/16" barrel that weights 27ozs, but it isn't in the same league as with the Smith or Ruger GP.

MortalWombat

The K frame .357 mags from S&W (models 65 and 66) and the newer 7 shot 619 and 620 models are all under 40 oz.

If you can find an older GP100 with a short shroud in 4", it would be just under 40 oz.

T-Ray

I'm really likin the s&w model 60. It's lightweight, 5"bbl, btwn 5&$600. It's only 5 shot, but it's light. I'll definitely consider it if it isn't too small or if the larger ones aren't too heavy.
I'm tryin to stay away from taurus, mainly b/c of how i've heard they're poor quality.
I really just need to go to bass pro and see how much weight i can have and still be comfortable.

Kreyzhorse

I really just need to go to bass pro and see how much weight i can have and still be comfortable.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the weight on either a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP. Keep in mind that some of that weight will of course absorb some of the recoil if you plan on shooting .357s.

If you go with Smith or Ruger, you really can't make a bad choice.

stevieboy

Shoot those hot .357 loads and you'll definitely appreciate a few extra ounces of weight. My personal favorite is a 686 6" weighing 44 ounces. It's a dream to shoot. I also have a 686SSR at about 36 ounces. The tradeoff for the decreased weight is a definite increase in perceived recoil. As in, a sore hand after 50 rounds.

Webleymkv

A used S&W Model 66 (they're out of production but not all that hard to find) would seem to be exactly what you're looking for: 6-shot, ~36oz empty, and available with 2.5, 3, 4, and 6" barrel. A Ruger Security Six (also to be found on the used market) would be another good choice: about the same weight as the Smith, also Six-Shot, available with 2.75, 4, and 6" barrel.

cerberus65

Either the 60 or the 686 would work great. The 60 is 22-23 oz. The 686 is bigger and heavier. For me it came down to which fit my hand better. The 686 was just a wee bit too big for me to comfortably cock the hammer. The 60 fits perfectly. .357's are a little easier in the 686 but I have no trouble with them in my 60. I was at the range at lunch time and shot some. I needed to try out the 125 gr./1400 fps .357's that I picked up at the gun show Saturday. Gotta luv .357's! :)

Sarge

I've got a little 2 1/4" SP101 in .357 that thinks it's a 4" revolver, and shoots as almost as well as any 4" revolver I ever owned.

357 Plato

J frames are for cc work. Pure and simple.

K frames are for a lot of carry and a little shooting full power 357 mags - you will never wear one out shooting .38 sp.

L frames are for a lot of full power 357 magnums.

All revolvers will wear out sooner or later. But nither a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP 100 will wear out in one lifetime. Or put in other words: If you have the $$ to wear one out shooting 357 mags you have the $$ to buy a new revolver when it happens.

I have a S&W 686 with a 6" tube. I love that thing. It handles everything I feed it with ease. Very accurate gun too. It is good for target shooting, plinking and hunting.

I have never owned a Ruger. But they are probably good too. A little cheaper and a little cruder than the S&W.

Forget about saving a few $$ on the revolver - get the right one from the beginning. You will end up spending far more on ammo than on the revolver.

Happy shooting

T-Ray

WOW.
i just did a quick search and was kinda, but not all that much, suprised to find that the rugers were a good 2-$300 less than the smith:eek:. The ruger also has a really nice lookin grip:D. That red wood just looks good in the rubber:D

:eek: Just looked again, and it looks like they don't make them with the wood inserts anymore :eek: I still like the fact that i can get a nib 6" ruger for under $500. Can't say that about the smith...

Last edited:

Evyl Robot

T-Ray, I saw you post this Q on THR as well. S&W's sell for significantly less than MSRP in real life. If you like the M60, it would make a seriously sweet gun for you. I understand that the J-frames are stronger than the K-frames, due to the very fact that the frame window is smaller, and the structure around it is similarly sized. It's kind of like how smaller OD tubing will hold more psi with the same wall thickness than a larger OD tube. When you decrease the square inches, you decrease the total pounds of stress on the structure.

I love my wife's 640 nearly as much as her 627PC, truth be known! I refuse to believe that you could wear out a M60 any quicker than a K or L based .357. In stainless, it has enough heft to it to soak up some recoil, but it's light enough to handle nicely.

Like others have told you, I think you would also be happy with a 686 or the SP101. Is there a range in your area where you could rent some of these?

--Michael

T-Ray

Like others have told you, I think you would also be happy with a 686 or the SP101. Is there a range in your area where you could rent some of these?

Not that i know of. I have also asked that question on a texas forum and there doesn't seem to be a place to rent.

Kreyzhorse

Just looked again, and it looks like they don't make them with the wood inserts anymore I still like the fact that i can get a nib 6" ruger for under $500. Can't say that about the smith...

I was sad to see Ruger do away with the rosewood inserts myself. With that said, you can always nab replacement grips.

I've got a S&W 686 and its a fine gun. My buddy has a Ruger GP 100 6" and I've put lots of rounds down range with his. Overall, I think the S&W has a slightly better trigger, but for the price, you cannot go wrong with that Ruger.

Evyl Robot

What part of TX are you in? My wife and I are in the Okc area but just came back from a trip to Houston. I was hoping we would get the opportunity to scope out a range while there. One, we kept really busy while there and didn't really have time to visit any and two, it turns out that we are really spoiled by H&H Gunrange in Okc. If you are far enough north in TX, it might be worth a Saturday trip to Okc to check out a few guns in real life prior to making your decision. I personally would have a hard time putting down that much money without having a real good idea of how a firearm would work for me in action. If you do decide to head north sometime, PM me and I'll try to meet you up there on a Saturday sometime.

--Michael