.357 sig

Silvanus

What are the pros/cons of this round? Except the price of course:(
I considered buying a semi-auto in that caliber, just to have something different from the usual 9mm/.40/.45

IM_Lugger

Not a fan…

just think 9mm and .40 pretty much covering the base already. I mean with 357sig you get a 9mm bullet with a .40 calibre capacity. Me, I’d rather have 9mm capacity or .40 calibre bullet. ;)

Plus there is nothing really .357sig can do that a 147gr 9mm (or 124gr +p) won’t do...

caz223

Well, expense is definately a drawback.
If you reload it's more expensive to reload than 9mm, but a tick less than .40 to load because it uses standard 9mm bullets.
357SIG, in a good gun, tends to be more inherantly accurate than .40 (No idea why.) and is ever so slightly more accurate than 9mm.

Another drawback for the 357SIG is it's optimized for 124-125 grain bullets. Sure, others are available, but 9mm+p+ 147 grain bullets can basically do what the 357SIG can do with heavy bullets.

One nice thing, though.
It feels like a small 10mm or 357mag when you shoot it.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Better terminal ballistics than most 9s.
I'm finishing up a 2-day project with two SIG 229Rs today. So far, the .357s in both guns are markedly more accurate than the spare .40 barrel can do in either.
Denis

tulsamal

I was going to type out all that pro-.357 SIG stuff again but my hands are tired. We have beaten this horse to death a dozen times. And recently at that. Do a search and you will find more than you want to know!

Gregg

sendec

Anecdotal eveidence indicates that people who are shot with the 357 SIG fall down and stop doing bad things. Good enough for me;)

Jart

I have a P239 chambered in .357SIG. I got it because that's what was in the display case at the time.

I've since grown to like it a lot. Mostly because it's fun to shoot. Consequently, I shoot it more. Practice is a good thing.

I don't suppose it does anything much different than the .40 it's based on, but I do enjoy shooting it more than the .40. I don't have a reasonable explanation for this. Might be the muzzle flash. The indoor range I use has poor lighting and the .357 seems to make its presence more known than the .40 but this might be subjective.

There's plenty of UMC and WinWB .357 ammo around here. Cost vs .40 hasn't been much of an issue.

Nothing wrong with having a little fun, enh? :D

ShelbyV8

Most people who knock the round have never shot it and they have an inferioty complex. I put a 357 sig barrel in my Steyr M40 and the 40 barrel has not been back in it. Check Speer and Federal web sites and look at Ballistics the only factory loading that beats it is the 44 mag it even beats the 357mag and 10 mm for muzzel energy.

CypherNinja

ShelbyV8 said:
Most people who knock the round have never shot it and they have an inferioty complex. I put a 357 sig barrel in my Steyr M40 and the 40 barrel has not been back in it. Check Speer and Federal web sites and look at Ballistics the only factory loading that beats it is the 44 mag it even beats the 357mag and 10 mm for muzzel energy.

LOL.

juliet charley

Anecdotal eveidence indicates that people who are shot with the 357 SIG fall down and stop doing bad things. Good enough for me
Anecdotal evidence indicates that people who shot with the best 9x19 loads fall down and stop doing bad things at the same rate as people shot with the best 357 SIG loads. Lab results support the the anecdotal evidence. There's not enough diffence in effectiveness between the two rounds to make a difference.