357 Sig Max Load Advice

jtmckinney

I recently bought a Glock 24C, 40sw and 6" barrel. I bought and received yesterday a drop in barrel for it non compensated in 357 Sig. I ordered and might receive today dies, brass and HP/XTP 147 grain bullets.

I have on hand unique and 800X which I can find recommended loads for. I also have H110 (I use for 44 Magnum) but do not find any loads for this powder and 357 Sig.

Does anyone use H110? I know I would have to use magnum primers.

Hodgdon website shows 800X, 9 grains at 1317 fps with this 147 grain bullet. This is out of a 4 inch barrel and I have a 6 inch barrel.

I cannot help but to think I can get 1400 to 1500 fps and still stay within the pressure limits of the barrel with a slower burning powder like H110.

I am not trying to blow me or the gun up but want a load at near maximum velocity when using as a side arm when hunting. I doute this gun will see 200 of these loads in my lifetime. Accuracy is another question which I will have to answer myself with actual shooting.

I don't think I am crazy.
James

Loader9

The H110 is going to be far too slow for the Sig. I'm using 8.0 grs of Unique under a 125 gr pill and it's a compressed load which is ideal for the Sig. But H110, I doubt you can get enough in the case to make it all go off in the short barrel and still function the pistol. I'd suggest a different powder or a better life insurance policy. I'll be glad to be yer beneficiary.

jtmckinney

AA#9 Might be What I Try First

Hagar you might be right. AA #9 is shown as a recommended load for 357 Sig. and it doesn't seem to have the ignition problems I have heard you can get with H110. It is also one of the slowest burning powders recommended for this cartridge. I was hoping not to add another powder and then realized that all the loads for H110 are rimmed cartridges designed for revolvers and use a heavy crimp.

H110 is shown for 4 and 6 inch barrels but I have always questioned the efficiency. I remember in another post someone saying the muzzle blast was impressive especially at night.

I do plan to also load with unique but think that will be for practice and plinking.

Anybody else please chime in.
Thanks all,
James

Ike666

@jt: I went to the range last week to test out some .357SIG loads. I finally decided on Power Pistol as the best load for what I am doing.

I wanted to reproduce something close to Speer factory loads for practice. However, I found that near max (9.2 grains; max is 9.3 grains) I was getting excellent performance with a mean velocity of 1408.

This is from my range report:

The next up was the PP, a powder I use extensively in both .40SW and .45 ACP. I like it a lot. I started out 10% low at 8.4 grains with a mean of 1346, ES of 24, and SD of 6. I’m already liking this – it’s close to the baseline and graphing more consistently. I think the PP meters real well out of my Dillon 550. Next was 8.6 grains and a mean of 1360, ES of 27, and SD of 8. Then came 8.8 with a mean of 1366, ES of 34, and SD of 11. This was a disappointment – its getting hotter but more spread out. Next up was 9.0 with a mean of 1382, ES of 47, and SD of 14 (!). I’m thinking I see a trend developing with the PP loads. Then I fired the last of the PP series; 9.2 grains with a mean of 1408, ES of 25, and SD of 8 (!!!). So much for trends. This is a pretty warm load with quite bit of felt recoil – too much to enjoy shooting more than 10 or 20 rounds. Still no muzzle flash though, in fact, I noticed no flash all day long. I’ve fired duty loads in a shoot-house and was flash blinded for a few seconds but it seems to be largely an indoor phenomenon.