357 Sig info needed

KITT

I just picked up a H&K Compact in 357 Sig. I have been reloading 45's, 9mm, and 40 S&W but this is my first bottleneck cartridge. Anything to look out for or any pet target loads would be appreciated.........THANX :confused:

ViLLain

In order to reduce bullet setback, maximize case volume, use non tapered bullets and complete assemble with a firm crimp.

van462

I started loading 357 sig about a month ago. I use a dillion 550b press, rcbs steel dies. I found that I prefer dillions spray lube over rcbs lube and pad. Rcbs lube was hard to clean off when finished even if I tumbled them. The lube residue was collecting in my chamber and collecting powder residue and lead to fail to feeds. Also 357 sig seating and crimp die takes a little more time to set up. I set up my neck crimp to .378 to .379. This doesn't seem to crimp thru the plating on the bullets I use. I have tried powders Accurate Arms #7,#9, and Unique. I prefer Unique to the accurate powders. The accurate powders work fine and #9 is great if you are worried about bullet setback. I just prefer the large flake of unique than dealing with the fine ball of AA. With Unique I usually shoot 7.7 grains on a 124 grain flat point. #10 I use 10.9 and for #9 I load 12.9. With the AA powders I use federal primers and with the unique I'll use anything. Midway has a great deal on once fired brass; 1000 for $24, all speer. You will notice huge differences in load data between speer and most powder manufactures loads. Here are some links that helped me along the way. Pete (from the weblink below) seems to look over the glock talk forum a lot and is a great source for 357 sig data

http://petej55.home.mindspring.com/
http://www.reloadammo.com/357sig.htm
http://glocktalk.com/ go to reloading forum or use search

rkmstr

I use the Dillon carbide die and don't lube.

I Cannelure Rainer 124gr to prevent setback.

Favoriate load is 5.4 Universal Clays (5.8 max). Fun, light load to shoot, very clean and accurate.

The brass from Midway does not work in all barrels. KKM is one they won't work in. Whatever they fired them in really stretched the bottle neck. Since the .357sig headspaces on the neck they won't go all the way into battery with some barrels. They seem to work OK on "sloppy" barrels like my Glocks, but not in really tight target barrrels like my KKM. Also for some reason the flash holes appear to be smaller than the Lawman (Speer) brass I shoot for brass, I had to turn down a decapping pin to make it easier to deprime. On the other hand I do use them and have had no problems so far on their 3rd reload.

KITT

I really appreciate the info...I have some brass on order and hope to be reloading it shortly.:)

Chemistry

Here's what I use:

124 grain Berry's, Rainier's, or West Coast plated flat point bullet
8.1 grains Alliant Power Pistol (8.6 grains max)
Any standard small pistol primer (CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi Leadless)
COAL = 1.135"
Crimp to 0.377" with Dillon Taper Crimp Die
Resize with .40 Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die

This has produced the most accurate (for me. Your results may vary) 357 Sig load that groups beautifully out of my Glock 31.

If you are going to play around with the upper area of this recipe, I'd suggest using the West Coast bullet, since it seems to be more resistant to plating stripping at those velocities than the Berry's or Rainier's.