357 Ruger Blackhawk Ejector Loosens Question

jtmckinney

Just traded for this revolver. I am very much in like with this gun even with the problem I am having. My first centerfire revolver and I can already tell I will never sell or trade this one.

I did not find the ejector loose when I was inspecting the gun. When I shot it for the first time after about 30 rounds of light "cowboy" loads the ejector fell off. Thanks to hard dry ground and young eyes of my sons friend we were able to find all the parts. I reassembled and we shot about another 30 rounds. The ejector is already coming loose again with just a slight amount of play.

Maybe this is as simple as blue locktite applied to the screw but I thought I would ask on here and see what those with more experience might offer.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
James

Last edited:

ohen cepel

If it's the entire housing coming off then lock tight should fix that. There are options to replace it with a steel one though so I wouldn't put it on with the high stregnth lock-tite in case you want to change it later.

If it's the pin shooting loose then I would get a Belt Mountain;
http://www.beltmountain.com/ruger.htm

COLT_45

It happens:

On the New Vaqueros I'm "positive" they use a "red" threadlock.
When I did intial cleanings and removed the ejector housings
from the barrels on all SA Rugers all the holes & the locking screw
had the "red" on them. Also the same for our pair of Montados.

Probably when your gun ejector housing was removed for cleaning
they cleaned off the thread locking. I replaced with just a little
"Red" in the hole off a tooth pic....then just screw in.....let sit
24 hours before using......you'll be good to go.

The red is used by the Ruger factory from any disassemblies I have done
and it "WILL" allow you to unscrew again as one uses only a little bit in
the barrel hole like the factory does........

ps.....I remove the housing usually only once per year when being
put away such as for the winter for a complete cleaning & oiling
of the spring, ejector, & housing so that the barrel hole doesn't
get used over & over again......ALSO if ya want to remove the screw
after the Red, shoot some rounds thru barrel and immediately while
barrel is hot remove screw as it helps somewhat due to the heat.
Also make sure you use the right size screwdriver as not to mare
the head.

Works for us-Hope this helps......

Last edited:

Opinated

The Red loctite is the high strength version. I would be very reluctant to use it on gunscrews. It is for equipment where the fasteners can be heated and beaten if necessary to loosen them. The Purple is the low strength version and even small screws can be removed with ordinary tools. I would start with the Purple and then go to Blue if the Purple is inadequate.

POKEYJOE04

I had the same problem with an old model Ruger Bearcat. Unfortunately, when things came apart, I was out in the high grass and was unable to find the screw. It took the local gunsmith over an hour of digging through his parts bins to come up with a replacement screw. A little loctite can be a good thing.

jtmckinney

Thanks For The Replies

Locktite it is and then I will keep an eye on it.

Threads still look good on both the screw and barrel.

I shot medium loads with Unique and Trail Boss with 158 gr round nose. Next I will load up some H110 and AA#9 with 158 gr HP-XTP. Great fun, I am going to enjot this gun!!

James

RsqVet

I use red locktight regularly. Apply a soldiering iron to any fastener that you need to break the bond on. Works great

44 AMP

Staff
Guntite

There is a product called Guntite, I think it is made by Loctite, and is made specifically for gun screws.

Loctite makes lots of products, and while people say red, blue, green, purple, the company uses numbers like 242, 262, etc. Each formula is for a different kind of application. Some are for screws that get removed once in a while, and some for screws that are NEVER meant to be removed. If you aren't sure which one is which, don't just take somebody's word for it, or you might regret it!

I use Guntite on some of my guns, and it has always worked well. One little tube will last you for years. I have about 10 Ruger SAs, and have never had an ejector tube come loose (I don't take them off, and haven't used any guntite on them, either). I did loose the base pin retaining screw from a .44 Mag Vaquero once. Got a replacement, guntited it, and have had no further issues.