357 Rifles

Huskerguy

I was talking to a friend tonight who cleaned up his reloading area and got back in the saddle after being away for 20+ years. He said he would like to find a 357 rifle. I don't much about rifles in that caliber although I shoot and reload 357 revolvers. I did some research and found the Winchester 94 Ranger Compact. Does anyone have this rifle or the Marlin and what can you tell me about them? What kind of money is the guy looking at? Thanks in advance

Stumper

Lowest cost repeater is the Legacy Puma- a Winchester Model 92 reproduction. Light, handy, I really like mine. About $400.

zxcvbob

I paid a little over $400 a few years ago for a Marlin 1894C. It's my HD rifle, in the unlikely event that I need a defensive rifle instead of a pistol. (I was looking for a Winchester, but I started looking just a couple of months too late) I think now the Marlins are closer to $500 when you can find one.

It's fun to shoot, and ballistically it's less than a .30-30, but not much less and it makes a bigger hole.

PetahW

56506_sm.jpg

Only one several configs/models of the .357 Rossi Model 92.

Oilburner350

I have the '94 Winchester in .357. It has the 16" barrel and I think it may be the trapper model or the ranger compact. I picked it up at the pawn shop for $225 cash with a tasco scope. It shhot weel with no percieved recoil. If you want to know more about it let me know.

Claddagh

I have two pre-Taurus Rossi M92's: a standard 20" carbine and a 16" Trapper model. Both have given me excellent service. Nothing's broken or worn out, and they just keep getting slicker-working with use.

I traded off my original Marlin 1894c with the Microgroove rifling many years back, as it didn't do well at all with my standard all-purpose handload of a 158 gr. LSWC over 5.5 gr. of Unique in .357 cases. Accuracy was poor-to-mediocre at best, and it leaded badly after only a few rds. This load has always worked perfectly well in all of my other .357s. FWIW, it was quite accurate with most jacketed factory and selected handloads. I have little doubt that newer Marlins with the Ballard-type rifling will do just dandy with cast slugs.

My all-time favorite .357 carbine is my old IMI Timberwolf pump. Scary accurate, dependable as gravity and works slicker 'n snot on a glass doorknob. Wouldn't trade it for diamonds.

SR420

Oilburner350 I have the '94 Winchester in .357. It has the 16" barrel and I think it may be the trapper model or the ranger compact.

I have one of these with the saddle ring and it's an awesome little rifle.
Buy one if you can find one.

CraigC

Lots of great .357 rifles available. There are Winchester 1892 replicas from Italy and Brazil. There are also the finely made re-issue Winchesters from Miroku. Then there is also the Marlin 1894's. The 1892 is a stronger action but it's not really an issue in .357. The Marlin is more scope friendly, if that's your thang.

olyinaz

I've got a Winchester 94 Angle Eject 16" carbine in .357. It's very handy, a blast to shoot, can mount a scope (although why...), and feeds both .357s and .38s without issue. Highly recommended.

If he's looking mostly for a hunting arm that eats less expensive ammo for occasional plinking (vs. 30-30) then I'd recommend a longer barrel, perhaps 20". You'll get a bit more out of the .357, which is helpful, and you'll also get a longer sight radius which helps with shot placement.

I found my Winchester at a gun show, almost new for $400. They're out there but no longer in production so you have to look for 'em.

Regards,
Oly

Legionnaire

Picked up an excellent condition, pre-crossbolt safety 1894C for $350 about a year ago. Found it in the classifieds on one of the forums. Not for sale, but it will give you some idea of pricing on a used specimen.

farmall

I have the 16" Puma and absolutely love it. Reliable, LOVES my cast bullets and and is accurate as I can be! Needed a little slicking up, but nothing you can't do yourself, in an evening, with no special skills or tools. I think if I'd just have been patient, most of this would have taken care of itself, with more shooting.

A real "sleeper" value in today's market, IMHO!

bamaranger

no more of those

I haven't seen anybody state that Win is no longer mfging the M94 in any calibers. Who would have thunk it? Good luck on a used one too!

The Marlin and the various M92 repro's are plenty available.

I've had a Marlin for 20 years plus. Great little carbine. It goes along on many ramblings, very light and handy. In carbine, .357 picks up velocity and power and is more gun than some people think! If need be, the Marlin 'scopes easy also. You or your pal won't be disappointed.