357 Rifle for Hunting

fshfindr

What powder do you use for your 357 hunting bullets. And, what bullets do you use, my preference is LSW but I know that many will prefer a different head. I have just purchased a Ruger 357 bolt action rifle.

Thanks,

skizzums

h110 is king for velocity on.357 mag. I like h110 and 4227 myself. although I haven't hunted with my 357 rifle, most people steer toward the 158 xtp or just good ol jacketed soft-point.

TimSr

Bolt action .357? That's an interesting piece for sure! I would absolutely have to try some of those long pointed hornady bullets in that gun. FTX or FTP or something? Of stuff I have used, the XTP is far better for whitetails than a SWC in .44 magnum, and with a .357 hole, I would think expansion would be even more desireable.

For powder, H110/W296, especially for a rifle.

waburn

16 grains h110 pushing a 158gr xtp, is my preferred load in my handi rifle. Velocity is around 1850 fps and groups are right at an inch at 100yds. Good expansion and penetration. Tried pushing them closer to max of 16.7 grains of h110 but groups instantly opened up after I passed 16 grains. ymmv

Woodslab

357 carbine

I use w296 powder. 158grn xtp horn. Load max from the the load books. Pushes 1685 from my henry lever.

I don't hunt but this rounds potential is deadly.

buck460XVR

Originally posted by chris in va:

Ruger 77/357 rotary magazine bolt action. First I've heard of such an animal!

They've been around for a little over a year I believe. Introduced because of the recent popularity of the reintroduced 77/44. I have a recent production 77/44 and it's a great little deer carbine and prefer it for hunting over my .44 lever. Like most Rugers it had a terrible trigger outta the box, but that was easily fixed. Some of the older manufactured 77/44s had accuracy problems, but mine shoots very well.

briandg

You may be getting nearly 2,500 fps out of a rifle. I would certainly not use a fragile bullet. In fact, the solid lead hard cast may be a good choice, even, rather than to just stick a generic 125 grain JHP into it.

In any case, whatever you use, I'd really recommend a bonded 158 grain soft point at the velocities that you are capable of reaching. Most .357 caliber Pistol bullets are designed to run at 1-1,500 fps for .38 special or .357 handguns.

skizzums

xtp are rated for 1800fps, which is about what you will get out of your carbine with a heavy load of h110. at least that's what I get from a 20" barrel pushing a 158xtp. I do not know what their 125gr xtp is rated at, but I know it's at least 1500 since that's what their loaded ammunition advertised speed is, but I am sure it is also rated over 1800. the leverolution bllets are rated to 2200 IIRC

Last edited:

jaysouth

That's a tough question because of the state of supply of good bullets. If you can find them, the Hornady 158 XTP soft point (not hollow point) works very well for me in a number of loads. They are tough to find right now. A round that has also worked well at 1500-1600 fps is the Hornady 180 XTP JHP. They certainly work well in my .357 MAX.

I would not try to get 2,500 fps as someone observed. That is a tall order with a MAX with 140 gr. bullets. I think that I could get a 125 gr. JHP to go that fast but they have a bad habit of exploding in mid air about half way to the target at that level.

buck460XVR

Originally posted by skizzums: xtp are rated for 1800fps, which is about what you will get out of your carbine with a heavy load of h110. at least that's what I get from a 20" barrel pushing a 158xtp. I do not know what their 125gr xtp is rated at, but I know it's at least 1500 since that's what their loaded ammunition advertised speed is, but I am sure it is also rated over 1800. the leverolution bllets are rated to 2200 IIRC

The 158 gr XTP-HP is rated to 1400fps and would be a tad fragile(IMO) outta a carbine. I use the 158 gr XTP-FPs in mine. They are rated to 1800fps. There are XTPs in HP and FP in the 125s also.

Here's a good reference.....
underrated_hornady_XTP.jpg

briandg

These bolts in either .44 or .357, firing super heavy loads at subsonic speeds would probably be really handy for sniping hogs with a suppressor. Probably not great beyond 100 yards because of drop, but the thousand FPS hit on a 200+ grain bullet would be handy.

849ACSO

For my Rossi lever, I have been loading blue dot under 158 grain Missouri Bullet Co "STRYKER" (18BHN). I don't recall the charge at the moment, but I was able to get to just shy of 1600 with no leading. That will be my deer load this season.