.357 maxi-mag Ruger SBH - recalled, never returned?

Pendragon

The gun store around here has a Ruger .357 maximag - or whatever that caliber was called for shooting silhouettes.

It looks nice - at least a 10" barrel.

The store owner said he used to have one but Ruger recalled them because of top strap erosion due to too large a cylinder gap.

He says Ruger recaled them all and never set any back - including his!

I found this amazing and he seemed only about as annoyed as a man who had the cheese left off his burger at lunch time.

I would be furious - but I am skeptical first.

btw - its $300

Anyone know anything about this gun and this recall?

Powderman

The .357 Maximum is a lengthened .357 Magnum round. I believe that it was meant originally for the metallic silhouette crowd.

IIRC, it can push the 158 grain bullet above 2000 fps. I know that Speer makes a 180 grain bullet for this round (and also for the normal .357).

The problems with revolvers chambered for that round is that flame cutting is really severe. I remember reading an article that said that a measurable, visible groove was cut into the top strap of one revolver after only 10 rounds.

Thompson Center still makes barrels for it for use in the Contender. It does have a reputation as a flat shooting, hard hitting cartridge.

Swamp Yankee

Dan Wesson still chambers for the .357 Maximum but that's about all. Factory ammo is dried up, brass is still easy to get and not expensive. It's really a neat cartridge that never caught on other than those of us lunitics that used to shoot IHMSA. Personally I think it would have been terrific in a lever action carbine.
The Ruger offering was pulled from the market IIRC due to forcing cone issues. Erosion and cracking were considerable. Dan Wesson got around this by supplying a second barrel with each gun.
According to Fjestad #22 in 95% condition it's worth $400. 11,500 were made in 1982. As I understand this may be one of the few Blackhawks that will appreciate as a collectable item.
Take Care

Intel6

What happened was it was intended for shillouete shooters using heavy bullets and when it came out people tried seeing how fast they could push 110's and 125's which lead to the severe top strap erosion. Since they couldn't control the people shooting them they stopped making them and agreed to take them back if people wanted to. There can't be many outt here these days as the longer frame was used as a basis for many of the big custom boomers. I have a T/C in .357 Max and really like it. I would have jumped on this one for $300 if it was in good shape.

whiskey

The top strap erosion was more sever than in other calibers, however, it went only so far and then stopped. There is some info about them on sixgunner.com.

James K

Member In Memoriam
From another angle, those .357 Maximum Rugers are uncommon and are getting to be quite collectible ($500+ NIB). So if the price is right, you might buy it as an investment. You could still shoot moderate (.357 Magnum level) loads without harming it.

Jim

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Yeah they cut a while and Stop. Never heard anything about a recall.

Dad has a Blackhawk and two Wessons in 357 Max. Flat shooting hard hitting indeed. You round is downrange before you have time to flinch. Makes an EXCELLENT hunting cartridge too, esp with the 180 grain loads.