357 Max

mtnbkr

I'm not aware of any, but it is possible to modify some 357mag leverguns for the max cartridge. I looked into it myself back when I had a Winchester 94 Trapper in 357mag.

Chris

EdInk

You're best bet is going to be to find a conversion or one produces when the cartridge was still being manufactured.

tulsamal

I know it's not what you asked about... but I've thought about buying an Encore 16" rifle barrel in .357 Max for years. Seems to me like it would be extremely compact and yet have plenty of punch for deer at the ranges where I typically hunt them. Ballistically, that would also be true of a lever action but that would be much longer than an Encore with the same length barrel.

Gregg

briandg

I'm curious, is there anything wrong with choosing say a .35 remington, which is currently available OTC?

No it is not the .357 max; it's a pretty different round all around. Is there a reason it has to be the .357 max? other than moderate (maybe) recoil, I can't see any advantage to it. Either a 30-30 or a .35 rem will give much greater penetration and trajectory. The .44 magnum and .444 marlin will give superior power with a heavier bullet. Seriously, why a .357 max? I'm looking at that as being a little short of perfect for anything bigger than a good sized whitetail.

It will surely work, but it is less than optimal, imo.