.357 Mags

pipoman

I am fairly new to guns and a virtual noob at revolvers.

My question is are all .357 Mag. cylinders capable of chambering/firing .38 Special Ammo?

I am thinking of either 2 1/2" Python or Det. Spl.

Thanks

Pezo

quote by blume357" I would stongly suggest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you consider at least a 4" barrel for your first revolver
I second that. or even a medium framed 3" but a 2.5" or less usually requires some experience shooting to grasp. You will be better with the shorter barrels after practicing first with the longer ones. that's been my experience.

croyance

The .257 Magnum was developed from the .38 Special. Originally it was in the same case, but they lengthened the case so the cartridge would not fit into .38 Special guns, which might not take the added pressure.
So each .357 Magnum revolver can fire .38 Specials.

Majic

Is it possible to buy a 2 1/2" Python and a 4" or 6" barrel? Are they easily interchanged?
No they don't interchange easily without the right tools and know-how. If you want a revolver that you can easily change the barrel to different lengths and configurations then look at the Dan Wessons.

blume357

the problem

with changing the barrel on a revolver is the cylinder gap has to be very close. this is the fine gap between the front of the cylinder and the back of the barrel. The barrel has to be milled exactly so that not only is this gap real close (thousands of an inch) but the sight lines up just right (vertical). I'm not a gun smith but I know this because I bought an 8" barrel for my colt trooper many years back and thought that I had it milled (did it myself with a file) just right. I was only concerned with the sights being straight... didn't think about that gap. finally realized that's why this pistol spit fire, powder and lead like crazy out the sides when it was shot.

pipoman

Thanks for you help. The main reason I want a Python 2 1/2" is because it is a beautiful gun. It would no doubt be a safe queen as I would not want to diminish its value by carrying it. I think they have good investment potential.