357 Magnum

Big Yac

I'll be loading some 357 magnums this weekend for the first time. Bullets are 158gr Hornday XTPs and Cast Performance 180gr. I have been loading 454 Casull for years so I have a supply of 296 and Enforcer. Can anyone recommend a good mid -upper mid- to almost max load. I dont want anything crazy but I do know that 296 works best with a near max charge. By the way the gun is a Ruger GP 100. Also, I"ll be trying some 38 specials at some point, any good recommendations for that? How does Trail Boss work in 38 spl? Thanks.

mehavey

Ruger's GP100 will handle anything a modern established/mainstream reloading manual and/or powder manufacturer's reloading source will suggest.

But don't start at the top. ;)

David Bachelder

158 grain Hornady FP-XTP
Small Pistol Magnum Primer (Winchester WSPM)
16.7 grains 296
COAL = 1.580"

Or

158 grain Hornady FP-XTP
Small Pistol Magnum Primer (Winchester WSPM)
15.2 grains 2400
COAL = 1.580"

Both have worked well in my Henry 38/357

I read where a guy said he was using 21 grains of 296. don't see how he fit it all into the case? Mystery to me.

GP100man

14.5 grs. of 2400 will do anything a 357 will.

With either of your bullets. I`ve seen the XTPs come apart on impact if pushed.

A copperjacket may work good , but it to has limits!

redbeard135

If you want some crowd-pleasers, load up 22gr of 296 with 125gr jacketed bullets. I was getting about 1700 ft/s and a really nice muzzleflash. It's definitely not the most accurate load I've done, but it sure is fun to shoot! After touching a few off, I usually get asked if its a .44mag, haha.

FYI, the revolver in question is a 6" SS GP100.

Big Yac

got some of the 180gr and 158gr loaded up with both 296 and Enforcer. Its a beautiful day here so I think I'm going to do alittle testing. Will post results later this evening or tomorrow morning. :D

Charlie98

I would consult Hodgdon's website for load data.

^^^ Yea, what he said. That and some good manuals.

W296 loading data is pretty tight... you don't really load W296 down, start with whatever they publish as a starting load, and work up from there.

I use Unique in about 90% of my handgun loads, including .38 & .357 loads, cast or jacketed.

black mamba

why 180gr hardcasts seem more popular than the 180gr hollowpoints I carry?

Most people shoot hollow points for expansion, so lighter faster bullets work better (expand more reliably).

Most people shoot hard cast for penetration, so heavier longer bullets work better (penetrate deeper).

Sport45

The Ramshot website has a link to all their load data as well.

I suggest using mag primers with the Enforcer. I've had a few squibs with regular primers and less than max loads.

jimbob86

I like 14.0 grains of 2400 and Winchester Small Pistol Primer (not Magnum) under my 158gr XTP's.... I get around 1250 f/sec and the cases don't get beat like with H110 (296?) and the magnum primers.

Doodlebugger45

It's easy to find load data for the 158 gr bullets. Not so easy for the 180's. I tried a number of powders with those. The 2 best performers were 2400 and Lil Gun. But the 296 powder worked fairly well. For the 296 powder, I had the best results using 13.2 gr in my Blackhawk. I incresed it in increments. I would say that 13.7 gr of 296 is about max in my gun.

Big Yac

Guess I'm alittle late in posting my findings but here is what I discovered. BTW I do not have a chrono.

Hornady 158gr bullets

Best accuracy was with Winchester 296. Charge weight was 16.4gr which is .3 below max. Recoil was nothing special and there was a nice muzzle flash :D
3 shot groups at 25 yards were just about touching, 50 yards was a bit more open at like 2.5 inches. This is with open sights, 6" barreled GP 100. I'm happy. I'll have to post pics of the tagets.

With Enfrocer and 13.5gr....5 grains under max groups were bigger. Recoil and muzzle flash were pretty much the same as 296. at 25 yards groups were 1.5 inches and at 50 yards the groups were not much worse than with the 296, 3 inches, was still pretty cool with me.

Cast Performance 180gr bullets

Again best accuracy was with 296. Charge weight was 13.3 gr, .2 below max. groups at 25 yards touched and at 50 yards were pretty much the same 2.5 inches. Muzzle flash was similar to the 158s but recoil was more, nothing terrible though. Rain moved in so I didint try the 180s with Enforcer yet.

Deja vu

My favorite "fun" load is 110 grain hornady over 22.3 grains of H110. Winchester brass and Winchester small magnum primers. It is very funny at the range. It tosses huge fire balls. I would not recommend it for frequent use in a revolver.

I think the most accurate load (at least in my Coonan) that I have done is 180 grain NOS over 13.3 H110.

Both of these are middle loads from the Hodgdon manual.

p.s. if you cant tell I like H110. There is not much room to experiment with it but it works well.

Last edited: