357 magnum loads for ruger blackhawk

hickstick_10

I do recall rugers magazine/catalog last year posted its blackhawk chambered for "357 +"

does this mean I can load my blackhawk to + levels or was it a dangerous typo?

If correct has anyone tried a load of 357+? What was your load?
Regards
Mike

KD5NRH

Not sure, but if there is any maker I trust to overbuild a handgun, it's Ruger. My hunting load in my .357 Blackhawk is a bit over max, and the gun handles it without the slightest signs of trouble.

Sport45

The only "extra oomph" loads I recall seeing were for some Ruger .45Colt handguns. For instance, even though a .357 Redhawk cylinder has ridiculously thick walls I don't think anyone publishes special loads for it. I don't know how a Blackhawk cylinder compares to a Redhawk's

Is .357mag not enough for you in its "sane" loadings? :confused:

Stumper

I don't know about the .357 +........ but since the advent of .357 magnum J frames SAAMI has adopted a .357-. I realize that there is not a direct corelation between PSI and CUP and that Piezo readings and crusher reading differ with the same loads but 35000 PSI is resulting in lighter factory loadings than some of the old 46000 CUP standard loadings. The Ruger Blackhawk is fine with the original standard. (A former Ruger engineer has informed that typical BURST pressures on Rugers exceed 100kPSI...but that DOES NOT mean we should try to load proof loads for general use.)
As for extra heavy loads published for the Redhawk-yes they do exist and you can find some online but the powder and bullet makers aren't publishing and recommending them-some individuals do. Personally I think that going for the original load levels of the .357 mag has some limited practical applications but anything more is better answered with a bigger bore. If I had a Redhawk .357 I wouldn't push it out beyond top 46kCUP loads.....but I wouldn't hesitate to use the heaviest published loads.

AlaskaMike

I agree with Stumper. The farthest I'd go is use data from older manuals, but I wouldn't exceed that. Loads like 15 grains of 2400 with a 158 grain bullet.

Regardless, never try to push it with faster powders like Unique, Bullseye, etc. You only want to use slower powders for heavy loads like 2400, H110, 296, AA#9, N110, and maybe H or IMR 4227.

Good luck and be careful,
Mike

res45

I've reloaded for my Ruger BH for more than 20 years any of the standard bullets loaded at MAX level or heavier cast bullet loads in the Manuals is all the "oomph" you will ever need. If the .357 doesn't get it like it is it's time to move up to something bigger.

Jeff H

I agree with Stumper. The farthest I'd go is use data from older manuals, but I wouldn't exceed that. Loads like 15 grains of 2400 with a 158 grain bullet.

Oddly enough, Lee still shows 15.3g max in the paperwork that comes with their dies. I just looked yesterday. My load is 15.0 at the moment and that is pretty stout, but shows no pressure signs in my Blackhawk. May head up to 15.3 someday, but for now 15.0 is fine for me.

CraigC

I don't know what you're reading or what the "+" means but I can assure you that Ruger will only ever recommend factory loaded (no handloads) standard pressure cartridges in their guns. They do not recognize any +P loadings that are not rated by SAAMI. In their eyes, all .45Colt guns are created equal and designed to run at 15,000psi. So negative, there is no such thing as .357+P and Ruger does not condone or recommend any such critter.

KD5NRH

Oddly enough, Lee still shows 15.3g max in the paperwork that comes with their dies. I just looked yesterday. My load is 15.0 at the moment and that is pretty stout, but shows no pressure signs in my Blackhawk. May head up to 15.3 someday, but for now 15.0 is fine for me.

I'm running 16gr of 2400 behind a 158gr bullet, with no issues in the Blackhawk. YMMV.

(Label any rounds like this very well: shooting one from a lightweight snub hurts.)

crowbeaner

Here's what I used to use in my 6 1/2" RBH.
WW case, 16.6 of WW 296, CCI 550, 158 Hornady or Speer JSP
Federal case, Lyman 358156 at .358", CCI 500, 14.0 of 2400
Federal case, CCI 550, 17.5 of WW 296, Speer 140 grain JHP
WW case, Lyman 358477 at .358", 14.5 of WW 296, CCI 550
Use a firm crimp and high neck tension.
These will suffice for 98% of your shooting. CB.