.357 mag rifles and Javalinas?

1911A1 fan

Moving out west(Tucson)and my 12 girl wants to go on a javalina hunt with me next year. Her white-tail gun is a Marlin 1894CS it works great on deer back here. I know they are small animals, but this is her first hunt with a prey that has bigger teeth than she does. Is it enough gun or do we need to go bigger?

C.R.Sam

Plenty of gun.

Somethin to bear in mind tho.
Not usually agressive but sometimes real spooky.
Don't see very well, so when spooked tend to run into things.

Sam

yorec

A lever rifle in .357 should work well on the little guys and the quick follow up shot ability is definately a plus.

Keep a tree handy too though cause Sam is right about 'em running into things!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Head shot. Think "eye". .357 revolver plenty good.

If you spot Lil Piggie from any distance, just walk quietly toward them from downwind. If you're quiet and make no sudden motions, you can easily get to within 20 yards and sometimes even closer.

Or, just sit still near some water source from just before sundown...

:), Art

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Such a rifle if fine for the little things. They are tough for size in my opinion, but not too fierce. I'd shot one somewhat poorly and got into some thick brush with him. When I got him cornered, he did get snippy, popping his teeth at me and such, but who could blame him?

As has been noted, they don't see very well and could accidentally run into you if spooked.

Have fun hunting them.

Best.

1911A1 fan

Thanks for the help

Glad to hear the Marilin will work. I wouldnt try it on hogs back here, 200 lbs or so. And really didnt want to get something bigger being as she shoots so well with the .357 Thanks again.

Zorro

Will work fine!

And YOU as DAD can play "African Professional Hunter" and back her up with a pump 12 Gauge!

;)

Fun for all........except maybe the Javalina.

;)

I recently bought a Marlin rifle in .357 and was thinking to myself, what can I hunt with it. Self I answered, this is the perfect javelina gun. I will give it a try next year.
I did a little javelina hunting south east of Tuscon. I saw two within 15 minutes of getting out of the truck. You should have no trouble seeing a few. I heard one down in a wash. I walked down in the wash and located the pig in a patch of thick brush. I could see it if it came out either side. I waited. He came out and presented me with a Texas heart shot. I decided to wait until he turned broadside. Range = maybe 25 yards probably less. He turned, I shot, and missed cleanly. I was carrying an in-line muzzleloader and knew he wouldn't stand there while I reloaded so I just stood there and watched him for about 20 seconds before he took off. Five minutes later I remembered that I had a Super Blackhawk on my freakin hip that I had forgot about. The great hunter eats humble pie all the way home. I get a lot of laughs at the stupid stuff I do.
Warning; As you are walking through the desert hunting, there will be hundreds, if not thousands of our brown brothers from the south running the border. Every time you look up, you will see a group of them. I personally wouldn't camp there and would watch myself. I am not kidding in the least, if you hunt south of Tucson for one day, you will see hundreds of them.
Warning#2: That is a mean, nasty desert down there. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING has thorns. I drove down there and arrived right at day break. I was wearing tennis shoes and didn't want to waste any time changing, so I went in tennis shoes. I kicked some kind of plant and litterally collapsed from pain. I don't mean that I sat down, I mean I kicked it and was on the ground. I had a thorn that was clear under my toenail. With shaking hands I got out my leatherman tool and pulled the thorn out with the pliers. I then laid down (checking behind me first for thorns) and whimpered for about five mintues, limped back to my car and left. My dog was hunting with me. He walked about 10 feet from the truck and laid down. He wouldn't come when I called him. I went back and he had thorns all over his muzzle and all over his pads. I pulled them all out and he laid down right there and wouldn't walk another inch away from the truck.

1911A1 fan

Thanks for all the great replies!

Just a note to tell you thanks for the help. We cant draw a tag this year but we plan on getting out in the country side as much as possible, and learning as much as we can about the desert as can being as we are hill folk........lol. Thanks 444 for the heads up about our little brown friends from south. Trust me I will never be without at least a 1911 on my hip! And Zorro instead of the 12 guage it will be my Ruger .44 carbine that this " African Professional Hunter" Carries on this hunt. The old one, cant see spending that much money on a gun that is that ugly!:rolleyes:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Javelinas make great pets, if you catch a little baby. Very territorial watch-pigs.

One of our locals' pet pigalina bit a Census lady, which caused rather a large amount of excitement. The Census lady was not at all amused.

Art

C.R.Sam

One of the best kept secrets in this area is the Prescott Zoo. Neat stoll through, no crowds. Mostly local critters. Cats are Bob, Couger, Jaguar and Black Jaguar. Really big black bear. Lot of neat little critters that flatlanders don't know even exist.

There is a Javilena enclosure. The residents are all very sociable and happy.

Biggest problem with the pigalena enclosure is the multitudinous wild ones trying to BREAK IN . They know a good thing when they see it.

Good Javilena bait. Buy expensive tulip bulbs, plant em by the door. Need meat, open door and collect pseudo pork.

They also like dog food, cat food and open kitchen windows. Few years ago had pretty good snow drift against kitchen side of house. Had window over sink open for shootin through with telephoto lense. Pigalina tried to come in through window. A bit disconcerning for all concerned.

Sam